What happened this year Chaps?

gazzaw

One of the highlights on here every year was the posts by various members arriving at and during the build up and actual War & Peace event. This was a great way to see everything that was going on for those of us who couldn't make it along for whatever reason.

This year there has been a media blackout, it seems, as there has been nothing thus far and it is nearly over! Has the regular contributors been so busy enjoying the show or is there an Electronic Black hole or bubble sitting over the area, maybe ECM being used by Rex lol.

Just my thoughts guys

Gary

Yes - I thought the same - always look forward to reading about what I am missing! I guess the traffic problem has mucked a lot of people up. Tim is there - tells me by text that he is having a great time and that the very heavy rain that we have here in the West Country does not really seem to have reached them as yet. He will be under canvas with his 11 year old daughter and I do not emvy them that!

Tony

The single thing that would discourage me attending again would be the unwelcome noise that surfaced at 0315 until 0430 one morning. I just dread what Saturday night/Sunday morning might bring.

I imagine the Calais/M20 has been a major discouragement.

Currently raining very heavily with thunder. Vehicle movement very restricted. Full marks to Rex who is out in getting soaked out in the mud helping security with traffic control.

I've enjoyed it and would come again if the noise caused by so few to disturb so many can be brought under control.

Only one bargain a 1953 VAOS for £1

No pictures, too busy looking around.

I went up on Wednesday on my own for a shopping trip, and will go up again today with the family.

A couple of things I noticed-

- The moving of the fun??fair is better and less of it to get in the way (hopefully they have not added to it).

- Several of the vendors were overheard moaning about the lack of trade they were getting. Bear in mind this was a mid week morning and the first public opening day of the show. The same vendors also seemed to be very proud of their stock, often twice as proud (expensive) for the same or poorer quality items on sale next door:confused:.

I never went to the Hop Farm so I have no reference point. With that in mind, I think the show is fantastic.

Well done to organisers and all those that make the effort to show their vehicles and equipment.

Thank you

We are up in Kitchener's field and it's rammed, it was nowhere near that busy last year or the year before.

Weds night the bloody Germans were having a Karaoke till 4am but since then it's been ok, the portaloos are brilliant but the loos in the grandstand were unfortunately overflowing.

OP Stack traffic diversions added 2 hours to my arrival so I can imagine it will kill the public footfall.

Loads of friendly EU traders who know the GBP/EUR rate so but still plenty of sellers with no prices :undecided: and no-one available to discuss/haggle so I can imagine they don't sell a lot.

Living history displays still outstanding, definitely worth a day walking round the whole site to take it in.

Just got home. Totally exhausted after spending a night under canvas while the most torrential rain I have ever seen came down and of course some happy soul firing off flares and other pyros at 2 in the morning didn't help.

I have been told, and have little to verify this that trading standards, Police, EOD, HMRC and military Police had a very visible presence. Fuel tanks were dipped looking for red diesel, items were taken off stalls and the serial numbers of certain weapons were checked against reported stolen ones. I saw real MP's looking very happy with themselves and the bomb squad van stuck in the mud. (I took some photos). It has been alleged that someone in the N**A got caught out with some red diesel. I am sure the truth will out soon.

Just got home. Totally exhausted after spending a night under canvas while the most torrential rain I have ever seen came down and of course some happy soul firing off flares and other pyros at 2 in the morning didn't help.

I have been told, and have little to verify this that trading standards, Police, EOD, HMRC and military Police had a very visible presence. Fuel tanks were dipped looking for red diesel, items were taken off stalls and the serial numbers of certain weapons were checked against reported stolen ones. I saw real MP's looking very happy with themselves and the bomb squad van stuck in the mud. (I took some photos). It has been alleged that someone in the N**A got caught out with some red diesel. I am sure the truth will out soon.

Well I had been there for six days and saw NO high presence of authorities.

The layout was better this year with the exit road from Kitchener's field.

I thought there were less there BUT figures would be the only way of proving that,but there did seem empty areas compared to other years.

Small motor bikes being riden by young children AT SPEED still seems to be a problem, still when a Reo or GMC or Armoured vehicle runs one over....problem solved. Dead child, squashed bike, END of show...perhaps. When will parents learn at the very least to read the very basic rules......maybe they cant read.

As regards traders I have noticed over the past couple of years more and more "market" type stalls within the military section.

For the first time in a number of years I don't recall seeing a "stunning" vehicle and for sure there was a lack of the larger vehicles.

Saying all this, I had a good time and wish the new "Owner" all the best for future shows.

Some interesting unrestored vehic

IMG_9035_zpskbrhwbx2.jpg

Under the bonnet of this one was a very smart tuned flat head engine with a pair of big shiny carbs on an Offenhouser manifold and two cast iron three branch exhaust manifolds into twin exhaust pipes, went very well apparently..

PS someone said it has a nice loping cam sound to it too!

Edited by gritineye

Well I had been there for six days and saw NO high presence of authorities.

The layout was better this year with the exit road from Kitchener's field.

I thought there were less there BUT figures would be the only way of proving that,but there did seem empty areas compared to other years.

Small motor bikes being riden by young children AT SPEED still seems to be a problem, still when a Reo or GMC or Armoured vehicle runs one over....problem solved. Dead child, squashed bike, END of show...perhaps. When will parents learn at the very least to read the very basic rules......maybe they cant read.

As regards traders I have noticed over the past couple of years more and more "market" type stalls within the military section.

For the first time in a number of years I don't recall seeing a "stunning" vehicle and for sure there was a lack of the larger vehicles.

Saying all this, I had a good time and wish the new "Owner" all the best for future shows.

For the record,

When I said "stunning" I did not mean there were no "NICE" vehicle there.

Also I did not mean there were NO larger vehicles just that I thought there less than I hade seen in the past.

Photo's are great but dont always show the overall aspect. Of course there were a number of GMC's on the road run Thursday night.......just NOT as many as other years.

There also seemed to be a lot more "unofficial" stalls set up. Two plots down from me a fella with a real beat up civvy vehicle had almost a complete trade stall set up.....

I'm not moaning,spoiling for a fight or doing anyone down, these were just my observations.

It's going down hill rapidly TBH.

There are some nuggets there but:

Stall holders down

Vehicles down

We took someone who hadn't been before. Went to the arena we found that you cannot see and there are insufficient speakers to hear what's going on!

The cleaners were absolutely fantastic. But honestly two crappers just in the main entrance! Two! We had to use these for the entire week and they were so small I'm going to practise for next year by defecating in an office filing cabinet - they were so very small!

Just how far have you to camp from the BA to be able to sleep before 04:00?

You can't do anything about Operation Stack, but two tiny bogs etc is taking us for mugs.

Came home yesterday to avoid driving my Pig in the rain as a forty MPH jet wash for nearly 3 hours last year taught me a valuable lesson :D Have to say the toilet block near us was well maintained and cleaned regularly even though occasionally blocked it was rapidly sorted ! The shower blocks where also fit for purpose ! The noise til 4 in the morning one night was a spoiler for me also , I hope the new man in charge will have a fix for this as it seems it may be someones idea of a tradition :mad: Stall holders where down as where vehicles on display in my opinion but still worth the agro and expense for me personally ! Loved the British Army Challenger display :D I still prefer the hopfarm though :angel:

Came home yesterday to avoid driving my Pig in the rain as a forty MPH jet wash for nearly 3 hours last year taught me a valuable lesson

Don't blame you at all Andy, you are the only Pig owner who consistently & relentlessly over the years makes the effort to bring one to W&P. I managed it once at the other place, but even driving the Wolf back today in the rain was not an enjoyable 5-hour journey.

Thanks for bringing her :thumbsup:

i went thursday for my first ever visit to w&p and i thought the event was vary well laid out with lots to look at. my only gripe was that there was only 1 diamond t to look at but that might change next year. met adrian scott and john comber for the first time which made my day and found a few parts on the stalls for my 969a. had some dealings with Mr Wildenberg which was an experience but managed to purchase some parts and get a discount which i am told is rare! i think if next year works out i would consider taking the diamond as i have been offered a half way stop if i want it which may work out nicely as it is a good 180 mile trip one way for me to drive the diamond up.

i also went to the Welland steam rally on saturday and there was a nice military section there with a DT 980 which i had a good look around, 2 explorers and a very well presented M18 hell cat. not sure how many of the vehicles at welland normally attend w&p but there was a good selection to look around.

cheers sam