What happened this year Chaps?

gazzaw

There was a definitely lack of armour and heavies this year, maybe due to stack, the weather forecast, the lack of proper loading/unloading facilities, and possibly a rumoured disparity in the 'appearance money' previously paid for various tanks.

The terrible ground conditions last year after rain on site must have put a lot of people off.

As I've sold my Explorer and living trailer I've become just another front wheel drive camper and four wheeled car trailer owner, worried about being dammaged by being towed off site by whichever over enthusiastic FWD owner happens to be nearby when I almost inevitably get stuck.

For those reasons and the forecast, I left Saturday evening when the ground had dried out somewhat, firm on top. But even waiting for a clear run and hitting it quite fast in a higher gear than usual to kill the wheel spin, I only just got through the bit leading through the gate before the hardcored exit road by backing off the throttle as the spinning started.

This bit of track has a left hand bend that means your vehicle is heading for the gate post at speed using momentum so some bravery is needed there.

Last year plenty of people hadn't learned that technique which is sort of counter intuitive, and so the line of stuck vehicles grows.

Having said all that I still had a great time and it's still a great show, (but it's not Beltring) I didn't want to leave early, and I doubt the vast majority of MOPs spot the shortcomings as much as we do, but all the vacated pitches must have proved a disappointment to those that braved the rain today.

Maybe the new management will read forums like this and take notes, a lot of the problems are easy to fix.

We stayed as exhibitors this year from Wednesday til Saturday - mostly a good day except for Friday night when we found how threadbare our 12x12 canvas was - thankfully help from our neighbours to rig a tarpaulin avoided disaster - but I had some time to examine vehicles and my daughter indulged her 1940s vintage fashion habit and had her first flight in the helicopter which she loved

I was surprised not to see as much radio gear as I remember from previous years ? I never found the M0VOG amateur radio station (which used to be near the animal pens / petting zoo at hop farm) either - were they in Kitchener's field where we never got round to going ? Last year they were near the trade stands but I couldn't see the masts this time.

Iain

Was suppose to be going all week but due to things i'd forgotten (like my first wedding anniversary among others) could only make it on Saturday. We were lucky with the traffic and in a land rover, so the mud was not to much of a problem. Did see the EOD lorry sliding all over the place but no other official presence. First impression was a lack of heavy armour, modern kit and large dealers. If you liked german ww2 kit the stalls were great but otherwise you had to hunt round. Haven't been for 3 years and there was a lack of the large dealers with stilages upon stilages of kit and a massive lack of post war vehicle spares. A lot of the reanactors we spoke to were leaving Saturday night due to the weather forecast but as i wasn't there sunday i dont know if they did?

Picked up a few bargings; 250 polly washers for FV432 £60, 3 new gel batterys £65 each and a load of other crap :-)

All in all a good show and well done to Rex. I know the next commander has been chosen and it will be staying at the race course, does anyone know who it is? The only thing I'd change is to somehow put the arena in front of the old stands so everyone can have a good view. Thats what they were built for and there was nothing of any significance in front of them!

Saw a lovely piece of heavy armour next to the arena for sale ;-) if only I had the funds...

Best, C

I was surprised not to see as much radio gear as I remember from previous years ? I never found the M0VOG amateur radio station (which used to be near the animal pens / petting zoo at hop farm) either - were they in Kitchener's field where we never got round to going ? Last year they were near the trade stands but I couldn't see the masts this time.

Iain

They were up by the trade stands (usual position) but rather fewer vehicles and masts this year. Fair amount of radio gear for sale, WW2 stuff at the usual sort of prices, more modern kit rather more sensibly priced. Star prize for optimism was a modified BC-221-AJ post-WW2 wavemeter (AC mains psu and modern socket on front panel) priced at £295!

I found a few useful items but was worn out after Wednesday and didn't go back (exhaustion and weather forecast).

Chris.

I don't think there is any likelihood of the arena being in front of the stand, as the racecourse has some kind of preservation order on it, so the white barriers that formed the original horseracing track cannot be removed.

I am sure the developers wont leave the posts in place. There was 1 small berm in the arena made by digging a ditch but with a bit of effort it could have been made much better. I go into the arena to enjoy the driving and I just don't bother now. Its not worth the hassle

we had a very wet show but still enjoyed it, I took the Cromwell out 2 or 3 times a day as did john in the valentine but we were pretty much on our own tanks wise. I did see a Sherman once and a t34 in the arena but it was before the public came and It was only one time !

the pepper pot grant was there also but didn't go out much due to a loose nut on the tillers. there was a nice cent avre that went in a couple of times but it was a fresh resto and needed more running in time. it was good to see the 2 Achilles together rex's and Adrian's but other than those I have just mentioned there was a distinct lack of tanks. maybe next year !

We were there Sunday to Sunday in Kitchener's field with the CVRT Spartan and Striker. Had a good week, despite a few mechanical issues. The Spartan broke down on the road run into Hythe due to the throttle cable coming off the injector pump. During the repair we found the fan bearings were totally knackered, I missed the fans for sale at the show the day before and Kent Bearings couldn't help, so had to get the spare from home. Other than that it was an enjoyable week, despite the rain.

I thought the show seemed quiet at the start of the week, but filled up by Wednesday. Yes, a lot of vehicles were missing, but how many of you went for the day and left your vehicles at home?

I thought the officials dealt with the mud very well over the weekend, despite all the idiots driving around when they shouldn't, and all the cars which got stuck trying to get through the mud.

Looking forward to next year, as long as there is a show I will go. It is what you make it, and for me a week off work, camping in a field with my friends and playing with our toys is what it is all about.

Iain

I didn't see them either. Or hear anybody licensed on site despite spending four days monitoring and putting out calls on 3615 and 51.70. Zilch responses.

No inter-G on 40m but I did manage a presence on the VMARS 80m USB net using a 1/4 wave vertical on a 8m mast.

Johnsons had the usual pile of redundant Clansman and it was amusing to see the "ambitious" prices being asked for rusty WS19s. There were a couple of Larkspur set carriers at a reasonable price for sale in Kitcheners Field but not much else of that era around.

I didn't see them either. Or hear anybody licensed on site despite spending four days monitoring and putting out calls on 3615 and 51.70. Zilch responses.

No inter-G on 40m but I did manage a presence on the VMARS 80m USB net using a 1/4 wave vertical on a 8m mast.

Johnsons had the usual pile of redundant Clansman and it was amusing to see the "ambitious" prices being asked for rusty WS19s. There were a couple of Larkspur set carriers at a reasonable price for sale in Kitcheners Field but not much else of that era around.

Well i must have been doing alternating shifts with you,same freqs and zero response,have to agree about the 19 set prices when they are not exactly rare and the stall holders did not want to haggle but i did manage to pick up some Larkspur power leads and a psu to set lead but not a clue what one!

I never found the M0VOG amateur radio station (which used to be near the animal pens / petting zoo at hop farm) either - were they in Kitchener's field where we never got round to going ? Last year they were near the trade stands but I couldn't see the masts this time. Iain

They were near the far corner of the arena area marking the boundary of living history before you started to get into the front stalls.

we had a very wet show but still enjoyed it, I took the Cromwell out 2 or 3 times a day as did john in the valentine but we were pretty much on our own tanks wise. I did see a Sherman once and a t34 in the arena but it was before the public came and It was only one time !

the pepper pot grant was there also but didn't go out much due to a loose nut on the tillers. there was a nice cent avre that went in a couple of times but it was a fresh resto and needed more running in time. it was good to see the 2 Achilles together rex's and Adrian's but other than those I have just mentioned there was a distinct lack of tanks. maybe next year !

Earlier on I was recounting to the Mrs. how as we were getting ready for Sunday's battle, the re-enactors huddled around the back of the Cromwell for warmth got a bit of a fright when it revved up!

went down for the week,drove the k9 down no problems but it don't like long hills.had stupid quotes for transporting the saracen down so it didn't go,it did seem alot of the larger vehicles were missing,but did have fun with the landrover on sunday in the mud even though a couple of bits fell off.all in all good show and even got an award for the k9 roll on next year hopefully.

"Earlier on I was recounting to the Mrs. how as we were getting ready for Sunday's battle, the re-enactors huddled around the back of the Cromwell for warmth got a bit of a fright when it revved up!"

sorry couldn't resist reaching in and giving the hand throttle a blip :)