Any interest in post-war RE Instructional Bridging models?

Old Git

Hello All,

I've been asked by a contact at the RE museum if I know anyone interested in buying some old MoD instructional Bridge Models of the post-war Light Floating Bridge and Heavy Floating Bridge (these bridging systems would have been contemporaneous with HGB and pre-dated MGB). The models are about 1/10th scale and as my chap at the RE Museum puts it, "for someone with a garden pond they'd make great garden ornaments". They'd also make great centre pieces for shows and, given the scale, could easily be mixed with figures and vehicles from the HM Forces range. The kids would never leave your display area!!!

As some of you know I have a sizeable collection of the 1/6th scale Bailey Bridge and that takes up a lot of space, I have a set of old stables that double as storage and workshop space so it's easy for me. However, I have owned some of the LFB components before and, from what I remember, these should easily fit at the back of a standard garage. Admittedly my mate hasn't given me the crate dimensions yet but I'll get on to him today for those. I'll also get prices but I wouldn't expect it to be too much as the game plan is they either sell them or destroy them. This is a good chance to get a really cool piece of post-war kit that no-one else will have and which you can, and will, pass on to your kids and grandchildren. My three boys and my daughter are already fighting over who gets my Bailey Bridge when I pop my clogs....the little treasures that they are!

If you're potentially interested, notwithstanding dimensions and prices, post a reply here and I'll see if I can't put you in touch with my mate! First come, first served.

Pete

Just heard back from my mate and he tells me he won't be back in the Museum till Tuesday at which time he'll determine exactly what it is they'll be selling, the crate dimensions and the final price. He reckons it may not be cheap but I've often found that his definition of cheap and mine differ wildly.

I'll post whatever info I get here and you can take it from there, in he meantime here's a couple of images from ThinkDefence website that shows both the LFB, according to the ThinkDefence website the HFB was a scaled up version of this

Light-Assault-Floating-Bridge.jpg

The original ThinkDefence article on Bridging can be found here...

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2011/12/uk-military-bridging-floating-equipment/

Pete

Hi Chaps,

sorry it's taken me so long to come back and update this thread but I've had a hellishly busy week, beset with some personal issues, that has taken up all my time. So, I've heard back from my mate and this is what he had to say about the two bridge sets...

The LFB and HFB sets consist of 4 boxes each , That is a complete set. That is two box " A" One box

"B" and one box "C" . Each box is about 33ins High, 36ins wide and 43ins long ,The weight varies but are each a good four man lift.

The sets are £500.0 ( LFB ,HFB)

The HFB and LFB SETS HAVE NOT BEEN COMPLETLY CHECKED YET .

He also attached some pics

1/LFB 6FT LONG TWO PIECE PIER

DSCF0196_zpsopbmh1r4.jpg

2/ THE LFB TRUCK 3FT 6INS LONG

DSCF0197_zpsy3at5wk1.jpg

3/ THE HFB PIER IN 3 PARTS TOTAL LENGH 5FT 3INS

DSCF0198_zpsfqsd56ow.jpg

Purely out of interest do you know what else the museum may be selling?

I'm afraid they're not selling off vast amounts of stuff, just clearing out some old store rooms and ridding themselves of some surplus pieces. I am going down there tomorrow morning, and will ask if/what else they are selling off. Not sure there will be anything much though, otherwise he'd have mentioned it already.

So, if you're seriously interested in the above, shoot me a PM with a contact email address and I'll see what can be worked out

Rgds

Pete

Edited by Old Git