Morris Tilly late model

I agree; It is a real pleasure to follow this outstanding restoration projects on here. I only wish I had the time and the ability to do the same! You must have had a good 'teacher' if you are not in the auto crash repair business already.

No formal qualifications or training but plenty of tips and advise from the many people you meet over the years in this hobby. The comraderie of military vehicle restorers always means people prepared to share their knowledge and help others. And then you just need to have a crack.

The sides are now painted and the timber frames nailed on and most of the hood bow fittings added. I have salvaged screws and bolts where possible as like Colin Jones has found with his counter sunk bolts, trying to get slotted screws and bolts in Australia these days is very difficult unless you have old stock. Very annoying when you only need a few of each different size. In fitting the sides I found they didn't marry up to the chassis as good as I would like them to. Some further study at the remains and scraps of wood I have been working off found that I had made the body 20mm too wide. So it all had to come apart again and the holes to the B pillar widened and the cross beams shortened and then on reassembly everything went together perfectly. I had to redo the front B pillar lower timber supports as I had made the gap between them too narrow to allow the rear seat to fit when folded down and they were also a few millimetres too low and the floor boards would have dipped at the front. That is the problem with not having an accurate body to copy from. In places it has been repaired over the years inaccurately so what I thought were accurate facsimiles looked good until it went together. There is an awful lot of trial and fit and refit with this sort of coachwork restoration but I am happy that it is now ready to lay in the floor boards. Incidentally, I had to get my timber man, Nigel Effemey at Streamline Timber in Geelong to machine up the tongue and groove floor boards as the modern boards have a 'double frog' (grooves) in the bottoms that wouldn't look right.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93760&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1504917027 attachment.php?attachmentid=93761&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1504917027 attachment.php?attachmentid=93762&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1504917027 attachment.php?attachmentid=93763&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1504917027

the dance floor is cut and fitted complete with seat bases. The rear passenger seats we have,(one original set only), are not complete and have been patched up and repaired (butchered). I have modified some modern hinges to suit for lack of original pattern and we can fabricate the rest from what original bits we have plus photo references.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93952&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1505383959 attachment.php?attachmentid=93953&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1505383959 attachment.php?attachmentid=93954&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1505383959 attachment.php?attachmentid=93955&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1505383959 attachment.php?attachmentid=93956&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1505383959

Correction!: the timber is mountain ash https://www.woodsolutions.com.au/species/ash-mountain

As mentioned above, (despite Chris amassing 10% of all the Morris Tillys that came to Australia), we only had one set of tailgate hinges from all the remains.

Each hinge is a strange shaped cast piece with a fixed pin which holds the long upright flat piece. It also has slightly raised bumps where the bolt holes are.

attachment.php?attachmentid=94271&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1506085884 attachment.php?attachmentid=94272&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1506085884

• 2 months later...
More news from the House Of Neville  "We have already cleaned up one set of engine side panels and after searching for several weeks I stumbled upon the second and only other set we have which one of us misplaced. Since I am typing this I blame Mr Collins.

This set is from the very rusty remains we originally got from Len Watkins. Like the rest of that vehicle it has weathered badly and although the main panel is redeemable, the inner rib is very badly rusted and will not survive the sandblaster. I carefully drilled out the spotwelds and removed the rib with the intention of fabricating new ones."

pout.gif Bounder, cad...

They were placed in a fairly visible place ands we'd no doubt wandered past the dozens of time and we'd not noticed. redface.gif No matter, they're found now and on their way to being resurrected cheers.gif
attachment.php?attachmentid=95456&stc=1& attachment.php?attachmentid=95457&stc=1& attachment.php?attachmentid=95458&stc=1& 

I have digressed a bit to do some work on the Tilly seats. We only have one set of original seats which are virtually the same. The construction is simple formed mainly by flats and angle and straight sheetmetal. The base has a pressed cross in the centre which is the only complicated piece. There is a simple lock to allow movement of the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4056.jpg Views: 0 Size: 268.1 KB ID: 95734   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4057.jpg Views: 0 Size: 261.4 KB ID: 95735   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4055.jpg Views: 0 Size: 235.4 KB ID: 95736  

Three 10mm template pieces were tacked together and positioned over the 5 mm piece and then clamped together. I welded small positioning tabs around the outside to locate the top template. I added loops for lifting as It was getting pretty heavy. Heavy angle iron was drilled and positioned over the templates to clamp the die together. I then drilled and tapped into the heavy plate for the bolts to secure the angle iron. My gantry allows me to move anything anywhere easily which came in handy for drilling the heavy plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4064.jpg Views: 0 Size: 281.7 KB ID: 95744   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4063.jpg Views: 0 Size: 268.7 KB ID: 95745   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4065.jpg Views: 0 Size: 239.8 KB ID: 95746   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4066.jpg Views: 0 Size: 315.4 KB ID: 95747   Click image for larger version  Name: thumbnail_IMG_4067.jpg Views: 0 Size: 284.6 KB ID: 95748  
  • Like 1