R/Enfield again! type 276 carb

gary0003

If the 276 number has an 'R' suffix then the small hole level with the top of the jet block is intended to act as an overflow. However, this situation shouldn't occur.

Either the fuel level is too high or the float needle is not sealing correctly (it only takes the tiniest bit of sediment to cause this).

Are you using a copper float or one of the new nylon type ? Recent needles have a groove for each float securing system.

Brass floats can be tweaked a little on the retaining clip to raise or lower them (but be careful not to damage the solder joint).

If the 276 number has an 'R' suffix then the small hole level with the top of the jet block is intended to act as an overflow. However, this situation shouldn't occur.

Either the fuel level is too high or the float needle is not sealing correctly (it only takes the tiniest bit of sediment to cause this).

Are you using a copper float or one of the new nylon type ? Recent needles have a groove for each float securing system.

Brass floats can be tweaked a little on the retaining clip to raise or lower them (but be careful not to damage the solder joint).

It's a brand new nylon float/needle and bowl

Also make sure you have the correct mixing chamber bottom union nut. There are three different lengths to choose from. It's the short one for a CO. Hitchcock's can help you for Amal parts. Ron

WEDL-G 006.jpg

The nylon float uses the lower groove on the needle, I believe. Is that the one that you're using ?

The short mixing chamber nut gives the highest float level. You can lower the chamber slightly by putting two sealing washers in there (this was an Amal-recommended technique when needed).

• 1 month later...

I have picked this up a bit late. But I assume you mean the hole in the side of the float chamber top which leaks fuel if you depress the tickler button . If its leaking fuel otherwise then the float is at the wrong height or stuck. I have a complete but dismantled 276 carb for sale in the ads section with other WDCO parts if your interested.

Regards Centurion

No! there is a bleed off hole at the top of the bottom union nut. No amount of tightening this nut will stop this dripping if the float level is too high. As suggested, either you need to change the float groove if it has two, or drop the float bowl a tad. Ron

CO 018.jpg