Large Screwdrivers

andym

Can anyone suggest a supplier of large (>15mm) slotted screwdrivers or screwdriver bits? I've got a very large screw in the Abbot breech I need to undo, and none of the usual suspects have anything that size.

Andy

Can anyone suggest a supplier of large (>15mm) slotted screwdrivers or screwdriver bits? I've got a very large screw in the Abbot breech I need to undo, and none of the usual suspects have anything that size.

Andy

Andy,

I know this link is from the US, but the bits in the photo should be off the shelf at your local tools store. Try Lawson in Southampton they might have them. You can use them on an impact driver if it is 1/2" drive.

http://www.core77.com/posts/24121/Tool-Terminology-A-Drag-Link-Socket-is-a-Large-Hollow-Ground-Screwdriver-Bit

we use ex wd king dick screw drivers , still going strong after all these years ............

I've got some of their spanners which are excellent too, just a matter of finding them in the first place!

Andy

Andy,

I know this link is from the US, but the bits in the photo should be off the shelf at your local tools store. Try Lawson in Southampton they might have them. You can use them on an impact driver if it is 1/2" drive.

http://www.core77.com/posts/24121/Tool-Terminology-A-Drag-Link-Socket-is-a-Large-Hollow-Ground-Screwdriver-Bit

Thanks Richard, I'd never have come up with that name! Finding them in the UK might be an issue though, even people like Churchill don't seem to have anything that big.

Andy

Thanks Richard, I'd never have come up with that name! Finding them in the UK might be an issue though, even people like Churchill don't seem to have anything that big.

Andy

Andy,

I was trying to think what make mine were, they are Elora, here is an example;

http://www.craigmoreonline.co.uk/screwdriver-socket-3mm-plain-slot/?gclid=CMLMsqarucYCFY7ItAod0OsAqg

Andy,

I could make a special tool with my lathe and milling machine. I could make it a large hex drive, say 1". If nec I could make it out of EN16T. All I would need would be dimensions of screwdriver slot. It would not take me long.

John

Hi Andy

Just out of curiosity would you share a photo of the large screws you are removing and the eventual tool that successfully removed them? With very large screw I have encountered in the past they were stake after assembly to prevent them from working loose, this often causes the screw to deform when being removed, were the ones you removing staked?

Cheers Phil

Hi Andy

Just out of curiosity would you share a photo of the large screws you are removing and the eventual tool that successfully removed them? With very large screw I have encountered in the past they were stake after assembly to prevent them from working loose, this often causes the screw to deform when being removed, were the ones you removing staked?

Cheers Phil

Certainly - only one screw as it happens, but well buried. No sign of staking. The slot is an inch across and the Snap-on tool is only 3/4 inch but the next size up would have been too thick to sit in the slot. The screw thread is 5/8" UNF, not huge I suppose but bigger than most screws I've dealt with before.

IMG_6736aw.jpg

Andy