End of War and Peace Show..................

Markheliops

Here here John.

I know some grumble about the show but I LOVE it................

If War and Peace doesn't rise from the ashes, I feel the hobby in general will lose out in a big way.

I agree with you

What is the reason Rex and the team are quitting? Maybe there is something we can do as a movement to convince him otherwise?

Move back to the Hop Farm with a bigger arena and a bank where spectators can actually spectate and take the weight off after walking miles. That's the best part of the old W&P. Pint of Spitfire, hog roast, sunshine, and the best panorama ever!

I miss it so much..

What'so good about W&P anyway?...

Well,

-lots of MV's from different era's

-Re-enactment groups from different era's

-Good location for the Mainland Europeans

-Lots of trade stalls

-Great battles and displays

But most of all the people attending.

I made friends there before HMVF was started.

I hope someone else will fill the void.

Rex and the team, thanks for all those years of heat, dust, cold, thunderstorms, rain, mud...so basically all the fun things a show can offer.

Regarding the enormous profit that WPR made, this article suggests otherwise

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/all-is-fair-in-war-15862/

That's a very interesting article that not only shows the complicated ownership of the W&P franchise (if you will) but it also suggests that Rex was happier with the current Hop Farm owners and one could read in to it that after the 5 year lease at Folkestone had run its course the option to return to Beltring might be viable.

Not saying that Rex should, (by heck he's earned his retirement from the show) but it does suggest that since Hop Farm is now under new ownership & management, the option might be there for a new show organiser to return....perhaps?

It is a huge shame to hear this is happening and I hope that the rapid change from plans for a couple of more shows to this is the last one isn't down to any health problems for any of the organisers, planning and running the show must take so much time, stress and frustration they should be applauded for all of their hard work and I hope the weather allows this year to be the best show ever.

p.s I quite like both sites but the hop farm has a special attraction due to the banking by the arena and the site felt more cosy.

Steve

I for one, was disappointed to hear that this was Rex's last W&P. The show is famous Worldwide, & very popular.

Georgina rang Me yesterday evening n another matter. & we chatted about the future of the show.

She informed Me, that as soon as the announcement had been made.

In Her word's: 'There has been a LOT of interest phone calls from various People. Interested in taking it on'.

So Personally, I think the show will continue. But in what vein & venue. Is open to speculation.

This show is well known, that it would be madness to let it finish completely.

A lot of us got started & fired up with enthusiasem when attending this show. It was the beginning of a Passion

for many a like minded enthusiast.

I await the future with optimistic interest!.............:angel:

Edited by ferretfixer

Sadly, I reluctantly agree with you. Today's kids have no interest in it. I got into the hobby through this very show at the age of 7, so to see it go is a huge shame and loss.

But I am wishing Rex and Barbara all the best with their retirement.

Just hoping now that the show finds a way to live on.

My 10-year old is coming with me this year. Lots of interest there.

But:

Just think of all the young children who still want to be steam engine drivers...

I don't think it's lack of interest - I think it's lack of opportunity!

If W&P closes, not only is there less to see - there's no local Schools days and less opportunity for youngsters to see 100+ years of vehicle history.

(However - it's not to say that Rex, Barbara and the others haven't earned a rest!)