Racal Feild phone UK PTC 404

Tony B

Tony

I have a hardcopy user manual somewhere (not sure where it is since I moved house though!) - I don't think I have seen a service manual "in the wild" yet - how urgently do you need it ?

You can download it here: http://www.royalsignals.org.uk/line.html manual No. 632 although you need a real (ISP provided) email address to get access

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
Add d/l link

You need to look for these Tony, I have them but I think they are FAESPs

5805-J-201-101 Telephone Set 2 Wire UK/PTC/404. Purpose & Planning Information. Nov.1979

5805-J-201-201 Telephone Set 2 Wire UK/PTC/404. Operating Information. Nov.1979

5805-J-200-302 Telephone Set 2 Wire UK/PTC/404. Technical Description. June 1979

5805-J-200-512 Telephone Set 2 Wire UK/PTC/404. Maintenance information & instructions. Dec.1979

5805-J-200-811 Telephone Set 2 Wire UK/PTC/404. General Instructions & Modifications

What stage are you at?

If its getting the pcbs out then knobs off with tiny hex grub screws and then retaining nuts off the volume/selector spindles and out the guts come!

I don't have the data at hand just now, some of the circuit diagrams etc are still restricted info but it is a brutally simple system to fault-find! Easy hits to check are the handset connections (push-fit onto terminal posts), OP transistors on the main board, 741 op-amp on amp board and the Chokes on the screw terminal board (Board F if memory serves me).

Whats it doing/not doing?

Alec.

Thanks mate, that is appreciated. Part of it is now public, my problems with the De- Ac's and as the rest seems going no where at the moment it might as well be told. My flat was brocken into one night whilist I was asleep. I woke and managed to fight off the two who broke in but got bit bashed about in the process. Fortunatley my WC54 Katy is left hand drive, so I managed to get to Jersey for the Liberation Day celebrations. If she'd been right hand drive no chance I couldn't have changed gear. Not the best way to start your holidays.

Thanks mate, that is appreciated. Part of it is now public, my problems with the De- Ac's and as the rest seems going no where at the moment it might as well be told. My flat was brocken into one night whilist I was asleep. I woke and managed to fight off the two who broke in but got bit bashed about in the process. Fortunatley my WC54 Katy is left hand drive, so I managed to get to Jersey for the Liberation Day celebrations. If she'd been right hand drive no chance I couldn't have changed gear. Not the best way to start your holidays.

Thoughts are with you on this, I came home to one in my house and kept him there until the Police arrived so I know a bit how you feel. It messed up a year in my life. don't let that happen to you.

The important thing is we both did something! the episode has had a few side effects, but I know he ended up bleeding as much as I did. Its amazing what damage the ends of a folded up metal framed ex miltary folding bed can do when someone is ramming into a persons face with real determination. He could have walked away when I discovered him, he chose to go for me with what I thought was knife. So all bets were off!

The important thing is we both did something! the episode has had a few side effects, but I know he ended up bleeding as much as I did. Its amazing what damage the ends of a folded up metal framed ex miltary folding bed can do when someone is ramming into a persons face with real determination. He could have walked away when I discovered him, he chose to go for me with what I thought was knife. So all bets were off!

Well done. my man got four and a half years inside for that day.I hope he learned from the experience.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/21/2021 at 1:56 AM, Anthony Robinson said:

Hi, I've recently acquired a pair of PTC-404's. One is working fine but he other hums on whisper mode and is dead on normal. Just wondering if this thread is still active and if there are any more flow charts available, thanks

I have exactly the same on one of mine so I am looking for guidance also! Alas it seems people lost interest after 2015...