Huge Serbian Army Auction, Cold War and possiblly WW2 stuff

draganm

282 T55's :)

http://www.themalaymailonline.com/features/article/soviet-era-tank-anyone-serbia-auctions-off-army-surplus

I think the real opportunity here is to make contacts that might eventually lead to all the Hellcats, Sherman tanks, and other WW2 gear sitting out and rotting away in various lots and yards , but for now this might be a neat pile to sift thru

0902-life-soviet-era_tanks_620_402_100.jpg

D201502100148.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Lots of US "B" vehicles too - I know because I imported a load a while ago (Dodge WC series - and even a Carryall). And of course one of the Sherman recovery vehicles in the REME Museum is ex. JNA.
What Republic did you go thru, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia? Bosnia has a very large cache of Hellcats, Shermans, and even some German stuff.

How difficult was it to deal with the government red-tape there? When we left the old Yugoslavia anything to do with government officials involved getting there at the crack of dawn, waiting in a lobby all day, and then getting yelled at around 5PM by a hostile person who was annoyed by your very presence. Of course being a foreigner automatically gave you preferential treatment, at least before the NATO bombing, not sure about now. :undecided:

there's a huge debate about this alleged T55 sale to Pakistan on the Pak defense forum, most are speculating it's destined for the western frontier, Afghan army, and anti-Talib ops. At any rate, if it's true it's a huge plus for both the Serbian armed forces and the country's defense industry.

Down through Kosovo, through Macedonia and then on to Thessaloniki in N Greece and onto a ship...

You need a decent shipping agent who knows the way things are done in those parts and patience. Lots and lots and lots of patience.

I didn't see that much in Bosnia but of all the ex Yugo Republics BH are the easiest to deal with.

Edited by paulbrook

Down through Kosovo, through Macedonia and then on to Thessaloniki in N Greece and onto a ship...
so basically, just retracing the route of the NATO invasion force, in reverse ;)

You need a decent shipping agent who knows the way things are done in those parts and patience. Lots and lots and lots of patience.
and, If I remember correctly, ready to pay a bribe at a moments notice. Carton of good western cigarettes being the starting point.

I didn't see that much in Bosnia but of all the ex Yugo Republics BH are the easiest to deal with.
I think a lot was cut up as part of the Dayton accords, and what's left is typically parked in some museum or army barracks / depot.

Have you ever had a chance to stop by and see this collection?

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/nammeci/library/Muzej%20Kozara?sort=3&page=1

or this one

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/nammeci/library/Muzej%20Manjaca?sort=3&page=1

Last I heard the stuff from Kozara war memorial museum was allegedly been moved and the only thing at the museum entrance is a Grayhound and piece of artillery. The lady who answers there e-mails was elusive about where the rest went.

Possibly stored at a military barracks.