Morris commercial C4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found some pictures on the net with Morris commercials C4 wireless models. First one is a know picture on this forum , you can see two C4 W/T models coming ashore in Normandy. Booth from the 15th LAA Regiment serving with the 7th armoured division.

Second picture is a W/T on the advance in Holland with the 11th armoured division.

large_000000.jpg

attachment.php.jpg

Edited by guy66

Axillary dynamo in place and connected to the PTO, propeller shaft just need some paint.

Out of curiosity is there a need to have this drive shaft balanced? What sort of revs are required to run the generator or does the generator run at? or do the flange couplings take care of this? Do they(flange couplings) have a rubber component?

Out of curiosity is there a need to have this drive shaft balanced? What sort of revs are required to run the generator or does the generator run at? or do the flange couplings take care of this? Do they(flange couplings) have a rubber component?

Hello, don't really think that the drive shaft need to be balanced as the dynamo is a low speed type. The drive couplings have rubber bits in them to take up some flex , you have the same type (but bigger ) on the drive shaft from the gearbox to the differential. This type of drive coupling is typical for Morris .

Just will hive it a tray and see if it works, if there is to match vibration I still can have the drive shaft to the axillary dynamo balanced .

Big drive coupling.

cat 07.2014 570.jpg

Guy

Edited by guy66

The only rear radio box bits that came with the Morris from France where the rear wheel boxes, not really in super shape as these metal bits had been exposed to the elements when the C4 was a breakdown lorry.

picture from the previous owner before stripping of the remains from the back of the Morris and the remains of the wheel arches that came sandblasted and primed to my place!

IMG_2188.jpg

And now I started to make some new wheel arches .

IMG_2190.jpg

And now I am in to all this construction work made also the tube from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump and also the missing shovel support .

IMG_2191.jpg

cat 07.2014 093.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

Edited by guy66

• 2 weeks later...

Some more fabrication work done in the workshop .

The rear wheel boxes are ready and just need to finish the lid on the RH side box .

IMG_2192.jpg

Made also new hoop support brackets as these where missing on the C4 .

IMG_2195.jpg

Made a simple jig to bend these brackets

IMG_2193.jpg

Now only have to drill some holes and make the wooden bits that go in the bracket.

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

Some more fabrication work done in the workshop .

The rear wheel boxes are ready and just need to finish the lid on the RH side box .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122638[/ATTACH]

Now only have to drill some holes and make the wooden bits that go in the bracket.

Nice work, particularity like the jig for folding the brackets...... neat :goodidea:

Pete

The rear toolbox is ready and the brackets on the side drilled and test fitted. Had a tray with the hoops I have from the other C4 with the bad engine and everything fits fine.

Made also the small wooden pieces that go in to the brackets.

IMG_2210.jpg

On the vertical hoop there is profile welded on with a selection of holes in to it , I do recognise this fitting as the same style is used on the Bedford QL where there comes a spring to tighten the copula cover.

Think these late type morris was equipped with a look out trap in the canvas.

Can anyone correct my on this subject !!

IMG_2214.jpg

And this is the set up on the Bedford , resembles very match what i have on the Morris.

IMG_1564.jpg

Next step will be the reproducing of the hoops , lucky that I have a good sample !

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Edited by guy66

The newly made hoops bend and also made copies of the fittings on these .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122962[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122963[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122964[/ATTACH]

And test fitted on the vehicle .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122965[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122966[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]122967[/ATTACH]

PM sent

Lovely work again Guy!

Attached you will find 2 period pictures.

The "portrait" picture is taken in Den Haag, Holland. source: https://www.nederlandsfotomuseum.nl

The "landscape" picture is taken in Rotterdam, Netherlands; source: http://stadsarchief.rotterdam.nl/

regards,

Alex

Morris 15cwt Den Haag1945-2.jpg

Morris Wireless House type Rotterdam10may1945.jpg

Hi Andy.

First took a piece of 3 mm thick plate and rolled around two tubes of 3/4 " and welded this together.

Ones ready I welded the ring round the tube and after well heating I bend these to a more open shape with a long 3/4" solid bar .

Had to make a few test to have enough space to slide the top tube aside the vertical tube.

The use of this bracket is that you can store the two tubes if you want to drive without the canvas cover over the cabin.

Hope this will help you a bit further !!

Guy.