Airborne Trailer question

Hi, a few questions to all you trailer buffs. I have recently acquired a WW2 10cwt lightweight trailer to tow behind my Airborne Jeep. It was originally fitted with the early type hitch with the arms attached to the chassis, but has been retrofitted with the later hitch (but with smaller towing eye). My first question; is this designated a No1 Mk1 or is it just an early Mk2?

The second question; what lighting would the trailer have originally been fitted with during wartime service? Did they just have have the convoy light underneath, or did they also have the MT tail lights? The brackets were evidently there at one time, but have been cut off. Just working out whether or not to weld brackets back on.

Third and final question; can anyone tell me what tools etc went in the brackets inside the tub? A tyre repair kit fits nicely in one of them, but not sure what the other brackets are for.

Thanks,

Tom.

Hi, a few questions to all you trailer buffs. I have recently acquired a WW2 10cwt lightweight trailer to tow behind my Airborne Jeep. It was originally fitted with the early type hitch with the arms attached to the chassis, but has been retrofitted with the later hitch (but with smaller towing eye). My first question; is this designated a No1 Mk1 or is it just an early Mk2?

The second question; what lighting would the trailer have originally been fitted with during wartime service? Did they just have have the convoy light underneath, or did they also have the MT tail lights? The brackets were evidently there at one time, but have been cut off. Just working out whether or not to weld brackets back on.

Third and final question; can anyone tell me what tools etc went in the brackets inside the tub? A tyre repair kit fits nicely in one of them, but not sure what the other brackets are for.

Thanks,

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Sounds like an interesting trailer. Re your questions:

1. It would have started as a "No1 Mk1" with the arms welded to the chassis spine and have a "barrel" style hitch and small towing eye.

It's a guess, but I would say that sometime later it has had the later hitch added, maybe after being cast? What is surprising is that it has a the rarer small eye.

2. Lights: another topic for different views! My view is that in WWII it would have had the standard axle light and probably would have had a right hand rear light with red lens on a bracket on the body side

3. Tools. Attached photo below is one interpretation, but I have never seen a period photo:

AB_Trailer_Tools.jpg

Thanks John,

I have bought a repro data plate for it, so now I know what to stamp on it. The rear of the trailer has been converted to a lifting tailgate, which I believe was done in its later service life as it is done very well with a waterproof seal, and the rear towing hitch has been relocated, rather than cut off.

Will post some pictures of the hitch and trailer.

Tom,

This is what I mean about the single rear light:

IMG_6851 (1024x768).jpg

Take it your hitch was originally like this with smaller towing eye :

EarlyHitch with small lunette (Medium) (450x600).jpg

But it has been fitted with the MkII hitch at some stage, is is like this but still retaining the extra handles welded to chassis spine:

IMG_6848 (1024x768).jpg

As John Corden has used a photo of my airborne trailer hitch I had better reply.

As you can see, it has been cut and repaired at sometime but the diameters of the original part are 5cm internal and 10.8cm external.

I think you mean 2" and 4 1/4".

As John Corden has used a photo of my airborne trailer hitch I had better reply.

As you can see, it has been cut and repaired at sometime but the diameters of the original part are 5cm internal and 10.8cm external.

Tony - was your airborne trailer manufactured by SS Cars by any chance?

Evening Tom,

I've never seen brackets like that before on an AB trailer.

Just looked through my photos collected over several years, and none of the underside shots on any trailer have brackets there.....so sorry can't help with what they were intended for.

Tony - was your airborne trailer manufactured by SS Cars by any chance?

Simon,

Sorry for the late reply - yes it was, the only Jaguar in the family!!

With regard to the mystery brackets I have no idea - the only two on mine hold the convoy light and the trailer socket Bakelite switch which I believe is normal

Simon,

Sorry for the late reply - yes it was, the only Jaguar in the family!!

Thanks Tony - i was just looking for confirmation of a hunch that I had that all SSC built trailers have curved (rather than angled) edges to the brackets for the handles on the neck.