How do I find out any history of my Jeep?

You can go to the Chrysler Historical Services here....

http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Historical-Services.aspx

Send them 25 bucks, and they will send you the build card. No military history, but a starting point.

Here is what one looks like....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104755[/ATTACH]

That works for Dodge but Jeeps Too ?

The previous post is not relevant, Chrysler archive holds ww2 Dodge build records, but they hold No Willys/Ford MB/GPW production records.

What do you know about your Jeep? a recent import or been in UK for years?

I don't think there are generally any records that you could trace a particular Jeeps Military history. The chassis number can only show when it was built and what contract is was built under, if you possibly found its original military serial number on the hood/bonnet side or other markings would be more chance of tracing its past, always a vague chance of matching it to original photographs, but majority of Jeeps have been rebuilt at least once and parts got swapped around so any numbers/markings found may not always relate to the original chassis.

If it was an ex British Army Jeep some records do exist

Often see Jeeps at shows and for sale with rather wild claims of where it was used during the war, but I think majority are pure fiction with no actual real evidence to back up the claims.

Check out John Farleys excellent books "The Standardised Wartime Jeep" vol 1-2 for loads of info and original pics

Edited by Nick Johns

Thank you all, especially Nick...

I kind of thought that might be the case.. I know mine has had a new tub, but I am told the chassis and engine are original.

I really dont know anything... the previous owner bought it from a friend. I think he must have imported it. I will need to look at the V5 again to see what the dates say on there.

Thanks for the book suggestion.. I have a birthday coming up so I will be making a request!! :-)

"Often see Jeeps at shows and for sale with rather wild claims of where it was used during the war, but I think majority are pure fiction with no actual real evidence to back up the claims."

Arrr thats where I am bery lucky I know mine landed on Omaha beach on 06/06/44 at or about 06;35 hrs

How do I know, because the chap I brought it from told me the chap who he got it from had been told by the guy he got it from knew the GI who drove it then.......lol :red:

BUT really does it matter as long as we look after them,care for them and dont them them rust away by calling it "PATINA" is what really matters.

As a guide line, I own 2 British wartime Military vehicles. I know their wartime serial numbers, their contract numbers, when one of them was sold off and an approximate date of manufacture for both. That is all. The only way to know a vehicle's history is to find a photo of it in use, which is near impossible, or find original markings on it.

There is no surviving documumented relation between the framenumber and the unit a jeep was assigned to. A friend of mine is VERY lucky to have an original Ford document that stated the framenumber of his GPW, the date of delivery, the assigned hoodnumber and the fact that it was delivered on wheels (not crated).

What can be determined from the framenumber is the date of delivery, and a guesstimation of the hoodnumber. If you can recover an original hoodnumber during restoration that will help to determine if the hood MIGHT be original to the jeep. Only hope you have to determine the unit are surviving markings or a WW2-era photo featuring the vehicle.