A T S driver

Degsy

Met an A T S driver/mechanic at a show yesterday and what a character she turned out to be. At 92 years old she is still very active although she uses a mobility scooter to get about and only stopped driving at 88 when her sight deteriorated and she voluntarily surrendered her licence. She was full of humour as she talked about her experiences moving ammunition around the country and delivering vehicles to storage dumps in the south of England prior to D-Day. One thing that came out during the conversation that surprised me was that she and her colleagues also delivered American vehicles. She is soon to attend a driving day which I think is going to be at Oulton Park and apparently arrangements are being made for her to ride in and possibly drive a wartime truck once again, she is looking forward to this with great excitement. At one point she became very emotional and said that her generation had not fought and won the war to see the way this country had now gone especially with regards to immigration, a subject I am not going to comment on. I always find it a very emotional and humbling experience to talk with vets but it was particularly interesting to meet this lady.