Chevrolet C60s

HWade

Here's a photo of the 6 blade fan I mentioned in a previous post these were fitted I believe as a direct result of engine over heating issues with 11 cab trucks in the western desert. The 1942 parts list quotes both 4 and 6 blade fans interestingly with different sized pulleys and belts with different part numbers.

Pete

SDC17567.JPG

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Richard, heres a pic of the rebuild army plaque.

Now that raises the question as to why a truck that was probably less than 9 months old should require a class 1 rebuild:confused:

Thinking about it a little more I wonder if this was when the 12 cab conversion kit was fitted, I can't remember when these kits were issued it was some time in 1941 but they were designed so that the work could be done at the local unit level it really would not require a class 1 overhaul............intriguing.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby
some more thoughts

Now that raises the question as to why a truck that was probably less than 9 months old should require a class 1 rebuild:confused:

Thinking about it a little more I wonder if this was when the 12 cab conversion kit was fitted, I can't remember when these kits were issued it was some time in 1941 but they were designed so that the work could be done at the local unit level it really would not require a class 1 overhaul............intriguing.

Pete

Pete, and Howard,

To have been issued with a new census number this was obviously a serious rebuild. Looking at the date of the rebuild on the plate, January 1941, it makes me wonder if this was one of the Chevrolet lorries caught in the bombing of the GM facility in Southampton ....... in December 1940. Either that or it suffered an accident, I think the bombing is possibly answer.

regards, Richard

Pete, and Howard,

To have been issued with a new census number this was obviously a serious rebuild. Looking at the date of the rebuild on the plate, January 1941, it makes me wonder if this was one of the Chevrolet lorries caught in the bombing of the GM facility in Southampton ....... in December 1940. Either that or it suffered an accident, I think the bombing is possibly answer.

regards, Richard

I think you may well have something there Richard, somewhere I've got the details of the losses I'll see what I can turn

Pete

The 1942 parts list quotes both 4 and 6 blade fans interestingly with different sized pulleys and belts with different part numbers.

Interesting. I was just looking at this last week, when looking for the water pump parts number and indeed noticed the different fans. My C8 also has a 4blade fan.

I have a 6 blade fan on my CGT cab 12

Does your radiator have a fan shroud fitted Niels?

I have a theory as yet unproved that all Chevrolet 12 cab FAT's and LAA's were fitted with 6 blade fans and shrouds first, the reasoning is this: these trucks would be expected to operate at low road speed but high engine rpm while towing or winching as result engine cooling would depend almost entirely on the fan efficiency hence 6 blade fan and shroud.

Pete

Interesting. I was just looking at this last week, when looking for the water pump parts number and indeed noticed the different fans. My C8 also has a 4blade fan.

From memory I think Alex the water pumps have different part numbers as well but I'll have to check.

Pete

From memory I think Alex the water pumps have different part numbers as well but I'll have to check.

Pete

In the August 1942 parts list the pump to take the large pulley is a different part number and marked for use with 5 1/16" pulley and six blade fan. The small pulley is listed as 4 2/64" fan shrouds are listed for all vehicles 'As required'.

Trawling some of the past information held on MLU forum posted by Mark Tonner of Ontario and the late David Haywood it appears that only 20 trucks of various types unspecified were saved and 220 were totally destroyed after the 1940 November 30/1 December bombing raid on the GM reassembly plant at Southampton. This information came from the 2nd detachment RCOC war diaries so should be fairly accurate I would suggest. I think it's a fair guess you are right Richard that Howard's truck potentially is a survivor of that attack and was part of batch of C60S 11 cabs contracted to the British under Supply Mech 2003.

I have also found a reference to a series of Emails that David Haywood and I exchanged some years ago where David states that 12 cab field conversion kits were supplied ready for fitting by 1 st week of February 1941.

Pete

There is no shroud on my Radiator, but the radiator looks in good order and at the moment does not leak. My concern is once its been cleaned, and flushed out will it still be ok for the long term. or should I get anew core fitted. open to surggestions. No more work done on her yet. Howard

There is no shroud on my Radiator, but the radiator looks in good order and at the moment does not leak. My concern is once its been cleaned, and flushed out will it still be ok for the long term. or should I get anew core fitted. open to surggestions. No more work done on her yet. Howard

Replacing a radiator is fairly easy but expensive; just flush out the one that you have and sink the extra cost in only if you have to down the line.

Cheers,

Terry

Well a bit more done to the chev, i removed the old homemade door tops. I also wanted to remove the door bottoms, |I had to use some heat on some of the screws, but they all came undone so that was a result. I also had a nice delivery today the replacement parts from Dirk turned up and they were all really nice the headlights came with the blackout shields fitted.

chev c60s door piller.JPG

Chev c60s door.JPG

gmc tipper 019.JPG

Hi any full restoration we do includes a recore of the radiator, saves grief in the long run.

Yes I have decided to go with a recore, but in the honeycomb if I can get it. Well only just in from the workshop. Have managed to get both seats out of the cab. Have also removed a bit more tin work to allow the cab to come backwards onto the chassis. I still have a few more bolts to undo or cut off, its amazing how some bolts unscrew with no effort at all, and some have to be cut off. I will attach a few more pics. Howard.

chevrolet c60s 01 002.JPG

chevrolet c60s 01 003.JPG

chevrolet c60s 01 006.JPG

Well more work achieved on the C60s today. The cab was unbolted from the floor, or should I say some bolts were cut due to rust. The screen came away with the cab when we lifted it off. I then removed the screen.Also unbolted the rear floor section and lifted it off after unbolting the high low gear lever. Once these items were removed I disconnected the oil pressure gauge and various electrics, i then lifted the rest of the front scuttle off with the fork lift. We then concentrated on unbolting the prop shaft between gear box and trasfer box. Also unbolted all engine mounts, The starter and dynamo were also unbolted as was the exhaust system, also the carb, and other items. The engine is now ready for lifting out, just got to weld up a stand to drop the engine into. Heres a few pics. Howard

Chevrolet c60s 02 001.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 02 002.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 02 005.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 02 014.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 02 013.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 02 015.JPG

Chevrolet c60s 02 009.JPG

Hello Richard

If you scroll back to page 5 there is a pic of the rebuild plate on the engine, I think the only real sign of the sky blue is on the rocker cover. I also do know that the engine had a new head fitted back in the early 50s. by the present onlys father. I went through the tax disc holder and they date back to 49.Thanks Howard.

Hello Richard

If you scroll back to page 5 there is a pic of the rebuild plate on the engine, I think the only real sign of the sky blue is on the rocker cover. I also do know that the engine had a new head fitted back in the early 50s. by the present onlys father. I went through the tax disc holder and they date back to 49.Thanks Howard.

Thanks Howard, had forgotten about that plate!

Well more work carried out on the C60s today. A new engine cradle was fabricated and the engine lifted from the chassis and bolted into the cradle. The front prop was also unbolted, as was the front and rear shocks. Also both side steps and frames were also unbolted. The rear prop and transfer box tomorrow.Howard

chevrolet c60s 002.JPG

chevrolet c60s 003.JPG

chevrolet c60s 004.JPG

chevrolet c60s 001.JPG