Age verification of a CJ2A Willys Jeep

Seem to having problems with DVLA when sending in the V55/5- I have no dating letter for my 47 CJ2a and there is no club that I can find who will help me. MVT will not as they say its not military and they have no records to use as a basis for proof.

Crazy situation especially as you can Google chassis numbers and find my chassis number falls mid 47. Cannot see why DVLA will not accept it?

Any ideas as I am keen to get it on the road after spending a fortune converting to ww2 MB spec.:-(

Link to a Company that will for a small fee supply a correct Dating letter for your CJ2. What about NOVA too? is the Jeep registered with HMRC onto the NOVA system when it was imported, another DVLA requirement, the same Company can handle that too.

http://www.secondaddress.com/dvlaadvice/

They would have to be on the DVLA list of approved organisations to provide dating letters

If you bother to actually read the information in the link they are an approved professional company that handles hundreds of registrations a year

I would be interested how the DVLA accept this companies source material when DVLA specifically state that they do not accept information sourced from the internet. As IMPS DVLA Liason officer I (and the FBHVC) am having a hell of a battle with them as they have said in the past we cannot use 'books and the internet' as source material. Hopefully they are coming around to the fact that there are no other sources of dating information but they still reject dating letters apparently at random because all their clerks seem to be singing from different hymn sheets. Everything gets passed eventually but it is incredibly frustrating when, for example, for an applicant with a jeep to receive a rejection letter asking for export/import documents, a dating letter written in English on club headed notepaper (which the applicant has supplied as I do not write dating letters in any other language) and stating that our source material consisting of both books and website (which DVLA could check) is unacceptable when the same sources have been accepted in previous applications.

This company appears to suggest that they can sort out the paperwork for any vehicle and as they obviously cannot have detailed source material for every type of vehicle I would be most interested in how they claim to provide information acceptable by the DVLA or are there two different standards being accepted by the DVLA?

I would be interested how the DVLA accept this companies source material when DVLA specifically state that they do not accept information sourced from the internet. As IMPS DVLA Liason officer I (and the FBHVC) am having a hell of a battle with them as they have said in the past we cannot use 'books and the internet' as source material. Hopefully they are coming around to the fact that there are no other sources of dating information but they still reject dating letters apparently at random because all their clerks seem to be singing from different hymn sheets. Everything gets passed eventually but it is incredibly frustrating when, for example, for an applicant with a jeep to receive a rejection letter asking for export/import documents, a dating letter written in English on club headed notepaper (which the applicant has supplied as I do not write dating letters in any other language) and stating that our source material consisting of both books and website (which DVLA could check) is unacceptable when the same sources have been accepted in previous applications.

This company appears to suggest that they can sort out the paperwork for any vehicle and as they obviously cannot have detailed source material for every type of vehicle I would be most interested in how they claim to provide information acceptable by the DVLA or are there two different standards being accepted by the DVLA?

Agree with the above

I think they may be able to help with some things but not everything!!

The website does look a bit "amateur" and I think they are making claims they cannot carry out

Particularly like the same day dating letter claim!!! A robust inspection procedure in place there then!!

I do stand to be corrected though!

Edited by Brooky

Seem to having problems with DVLA when sending in the V55/5- I have no dating letter for my 47 CJ2a and there is no club that I can find who will help me. MVT will not as they say its not military and they have no records to use as a basis for proof.

Crazy situation especially as you can Google chassis numbers and find my chassis number falls mid 47. Cannot see why DVLA will not accept it?

Any ideas as I am keen to get it on the road after spending a fortune converting to ww2 MB spec.:-(

Having the same issue with my vehicle with dvla, vin decodes to the year of manufacture but they wont accept that, I have a cunning plan but family stuff is in the way at the moment, you could try these people http://www.american-auto-club.co.uk/ go to club info and services and scroll to relevant link, hope this helps. :)

Having the same issue with my vehicle with dvla, vin decodes to the year of manufacture but they wont accept that, I have a cunning plan but family stuff is in the way at the moment, you could try these people http://www.american-auto-club.co.uk/ go to club info and services and scroll to relevant link, hope this helps. :)

Now that sounds like a plan as they are in the DVLA list!!

I had a phone conversation with the owner of the company, Vehicle registration services, and he assured me they seldom get any rejected vehicle registration applications to DVLA using his companies services. I am about to test his claim with a Jeep registration

I had a phone conversation with the owner of the company, Vehicle registration services, and he assured me they seldom get any rejected vehicle registration applications to DVLA using his companies services. I am about to test his claim with a Jeep registration

I certainly would be interested to see the result and what source material is quoted on the letter, considering this company is not mentioned on the DVLA list of approved authorisation clubs, societies, etc. It seems that either DVLA are operating dual standards or the left hand is not knowing what the right hand is doing!

• 5 weeks later...

Have you had any result yet with this company? I'm interested as I would love to see their sources of dating information for jeeps that are acceptable for the DVLA as we are still having problems.

Have you had any result yet with this company? I'm interested as I would love to see their sources of dating information for jeeps that are acceptable for the DVLA as we are still having problems.

No, I did not put Registration services verification to the test as I unexpectantly sold the Jeep, unregistered as is, maybe the new owner may use them

Edited by Nick Johns

Being aware of the pressures applied to bona fide clubs in providing dating evidence, this chap's trading practices have puzzled me for some time.

58 North Street Bristol is a Mailbox address and it may be that he previously traded as 'Bristol Classic Cars and Bikes Owners Club'

http://www.secondaddress.com/bristolccb/index_join.htm

...Not a club that seems to be known on the scene. Under this name, I believe that he was on previous DVLA lists as an 'approved club'.

This seems to no longer be the case. It might not be unreasonable to suspect that he may have some form of contact with a 'club' currently on the list in order to be able to provide acceptable dating evidence.

Certainly, the premise of a commercial organisation which acts on behalf of an owner in order to obtain age-related registration and provides its own dating evidence seems somewhat at odds with my understanding of a scheme which relies upon the impartiality and integrity of clubs with a valued reputation to help ensure that only truly historic vehicles are granted this privileged form of registration.

There are actually quite a number of clubs on the current DVLA list who seem too local and / or too general to be able to provide any real substantiated dating evidence for all possible vehicles.

There are actually quite a number of clubs on the current DVLA list who seem too local and / or too general to be able to provide any real substantiated dating evidence for all possible vehicles.

I trust you are not referring to IMPS and MVT!!!

Seriously, I wonder how the DVLA vet the clubs on their list. I do not think that they check with the FHBVC

• 3 months later...

Finally got a V5c for my Jeep. Used the 'Antique power group' which is one of the clubs on the v765 scheme who sorted me a dating letter. Then had to have Jeep inspected by SGS on behalf of the DVLA.

Got there in the end but will probably sell the vehicle now its nearly completed.

asasas.jpg

It's very disappointing to hear of the ho0ps the DVLA seem to place in front of folk ..... I understand they had to tighten up from the days when you could register a rusted out wreck just to swap a good number plate etc but ..It does seem from reading various forums as no one at DVLA actually knows or works to an agreed method :(

Either way ? your Jeep does look very grand indeed, lovely job! :)