Need a Defender collecting from Wiltshire to Cornwall

Hi, I am after some transportation please. I have just purchased a Defender 110 that is not yet civvy registered and is situated in Westbury, Wiltshire. Somehow, I need to get it to Newquay. Can anyone out there help please?

Yeah, I have put it on Shiply. Not heard anything yet though.

pretty sure you will find some idiot who will do it for less then £ 1.00 a mile on back load. But is it a runner if so tax it on chassis number book it in for MOT and drive it back

I hadn't thought of that. Wouldn't the lack of number plates be an issue though?

Not if you are taking it to or from an MOT. I had the same thing when I brought the WC54 over from Jersey. How can I drive it when it has no official plates? Simple, I could drive it from delivery , eg Portsmouth , to home, then to and from an MOT test. Then the official letter from DVLA (Or whatever their calling themselves this week) down to Halfords for plates.

pretty sure you will find some idiot who will do it for less then £ 1.00 a mile on back load. But is it a runner if so tax it on chassis number book it in for MOT and drive it back

I think you mean insure it, you cannot tax it without a valid MOT.

Not if you are taking it to or from an MOT. I had the same thing when I brought the WC54 over from Jersey. How can I drive it when it has no official plates? Simple, I could drive it from delivery , eg Portsmouth , to home, then to and from an MOT test. Then the official letter from DVLA (Or whatever their calling themselves this week) down to Halfords for plates.

You can drive it to a pre booked MOT or to a workshop for repair/conversion to make it capable of passing a test, home does not count unless it is a registered car repair business, taking it to a workshop for a 'pre MOT' is also not allowed. You could still be prosecuted if the vehicle is unroadworthy.

My apologies I meant insure on chassis no . No plates are for identification purposes so that customs and excise can collect taxes. Police have no interest in collecting taxes and as such have no interest In theory you cannot be taxed until you have MOT hence exempt going to and from test

Edited by cosrec

I would be very wary about driving to a prebooked MOT as suggested above, this an area in which myths and legends abound but which doesn't seem to have been adequately tested in law.

Schedule 2 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 makes provision for an untaxed vehicle to be driven on the public highway, but solely for the purpose of attending a prebooked MOT. The relevant wording is:-

22 (1) A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the purpose of—

(a) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a compulsory test, a vehicle identity check, a vehicle weight test or a reduced pollution test, or

(b) bringing it away from any such test or check.

(1A) A vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the purpose of—

(a) taking it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) for a relevant re-examination, or

(b) bringing it away from such a re-examination.

I have emphasised the word "solely" because it is important. Whilst there is no limit specified on the distance a vehicle can be taken, nor indeed the originating and terminating locations, it is probably that if tested in court that in order to demonstrate that the journey is solely for the purpose of attending the test, the start location should be the place at which the vehicle is normally kept, and the finishing location either the same place or a place where it is to be repaired. The fact that you have bought the vehicle in one county, would be taking it a long way for an MOT, and then keeping it in a different county, makes it very hard to argue that there wasn't an additional purpose to the journey, that of relocating the vehicle. (In this case that fact that this thread is in the public domain asking how to move the vehicle from A to B is hard and damning evidence).

You could also be reasonably expected to explain why it was necessary to take a vehicle to an MOT station a long way away when nearer facilities exist. If the vehicle was exceptionally unusual and a distant MOT centre had expertise that a local one didn't, you might have a valid answer, but it is hard to see others.