WW2 British 1 ton 2 WHLD N#5 MK1 GS Trailer X5853823

Found another WW2 British 20cwt GS trailer X5853823. original owner since disposal from MOD.

Same as the 1st one I restored except this one is original and has wooden sides that are lower than the steel sided versions.

Link to my other WW2 20cwt trailer restoration http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?41282-WW2-British-1-Ton-2wheel-GS-Trailer

DSC02500.JPG

DSC02492.JPG

Edited by Ian L

The original tow hitch has been cut off and a tractor eye fitted but luckily the 'jockey' wheel has been left otherwise that would of been impossible to find.

About 2 years ago a strange tow hitch turned up on one of my water bowsers which has turned out to be the hitch I now need for this trailer :thumbsup:

DSC02498.JPG

DSC02497.JPG

019.JPG

018.JPG

024.JPG

023.JPG

How does that double hitch work in practice? Is there really enough room between them?

trevor

Hi Trevor I think the 2 holes are just for height adjustment but somebody has fitted an eye into each hole which is a good job as Guy's 20cwt trailer was missing an eye so he's got this hitch at the moment to try and free off one eyes for his trailer.

Hi Ian,

I was going to ask "how many trailers do you really need"......but stopped myself in time :blush::blush:

Hi John that's been asked many times before mate, I even had it asked again at the Abingdon Air & country show today.

Edited by Ian L

Hi John that's been asked many times before mate, I even had it asked again at the Abingdon Air & country show today.

This trailer is an easy/quick resto I think ? and I intend to fill it will Jerry cans & ammo box's for display.

Trailers: You know I like them. So many have been lost and scrapped, and it seems it is the great British farmer who has inadvertently saved them for the nation!

They are an interesting piece of military history (useful too).

See you in Guernsey

Hi Trevor I think the 2 holes are just for height adjustment but somebody has fitted an eye into each hole which is a good job as Guy's 20cwt trailer was missing an eye so he's got this hitch at the moment to try and free off one eyes for his trailer.

Ah, that makes much more sense! From the photos it looked like the eyes were different sizes, so I assumed the hitch was intended to fit different hitch sizes...

trevor

• 1 month later...
Link to the 20cwt trailers http://www.geocities.ws/cmpvehicles/trailer_1-ton_2wh_gs.html The title is slightly confusing though as these are British trailers & not Canadian CMP

Confusing? Ah now I see, my website is called "Made in Canada". But I added a "Non-CMP vehicles" section with a page on the British Trailer, 1 Ton, 2 Wheeled, General Service.

Hope this makes sense ;)

Edited by mcspool
fixed link

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Started the strip down today, just realised that the rear is a traditional hinged tailgate (photo 4) but the front has a removable panel (photos 1,2,3) with locating slots at the bottom.

No idea what the front & rear should look like as they are both missing so there is going to some guess work going on here.

DSC03304.JPG

DSC03305.JPG

DSC03306.JPG

DSC03307.JPG

• 5 months later...

Complete with all its data plates.

TRAILER CHASSIS, 1 TON, 2WHL

N'5 MK1 DPL. CONT N' 23/7086

Chassis N' 3249 W.D. X6167849

BODY 1 TON G.S. N'2 MK ?

DPL CONT N' 23/7086 SER N' 3249

POST WAR Rebuild.

97 ZB 75

Overhaul 8.53 B.380

DSC03692.JPG

DSC03693.JPG

DSC03694.JPG

DSC03695.JPG

DSC03698.JPG

Edited by Ian L

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Ian , I am still looking for identification plates for my trailer , there was noting left on the trailer that was readable .

Guy.

Hi Guy I cant let you have these I'm afraid as they need to stay with the trailer but you can borrow then to get some copies made if you want to.

• 1 month later...
Complete with all its data plates.

TRAILER CHASSIS, 1 TON, 2WHL

N'5 MK1 DPL. CONT N' 23/7086

Chassis N' 3249 W.D. X61667849

BODY 1 TON G.S. N'2 MK ?

DPL CONT N' 23/7086 SER N' 3249

POST WAR Rebuild.

97 ZB 75

Overhaul 8.53 B.380

Just received the Key Card courtesy of Wally, mine is on the top line 97 ZB 75

I was interested in the CAT.REF. top right hand corner which says Dashwood, is this the maker of these trailers ?

Key card.jpg

• 4 months later...

Still making progress on the 2nd 20cwt trailer, chassis was shot blasted & primed a couple of weeks ago (photos to follow) and a friend found a spare 9:00x13 wheel for me which was heavily corroded so was also shot blasted & painted a couple of days ago.

DSC04904.jpg