Image thumbnails

Sean N

If I post an image which is hosted on my HMVF account, and it's a large image, the forum software posts a smaller version with a link to the full size version.

If I post an image which is hosted on, say, a Photobucket or Flickr account, that doesn't seem to happen. Is there a way of forcing it?

• 2 years later...

I think there's currently a problem with the forum with similar symptoms. If I post a photo, even of small size, there's a brief flash of an error message about "preg mismatch" and the forum duplicates the photo as a thumbnail. I see this is also happening to other people's posts, not just mine.

Andy

As a Moderator, I was contact by Jeremy (Rampant Rivet) about this issue, but not having powers or knowledge of the inner workings of this website, I could do nothing and told him to raise the issue with those in charge of the site, ie Jack, Joris or Lee (Marmite). So far I have not heard anything. It seem not all posts with photos have duplication of images, so to fault find you would need to know details of how or where the photos are obtained from, ie, from computer's photo library, from mobile phone, or from one of the internet photo saving sites. This may give a pattern to the problem.

Just as a test, I have attached a photo here from my computer's photo library so will see what happens.

regards, Richard

2017 Corowa 1692.jpg

Nice photo Richard, expandable too, unlike mine when I want them to be and where those I don't care to be expandable, turn out to be so, and all despite following exactly the same uploading procedure from the same source (my laptop) each time. The length of file title has nothing to do with it, the file path neither (short and simple) and all irrespective of the same medium-to-small file size.

I also wouldn't mind knowing how to remove an 'inappropriate' photo and duplicate thumbnail that has been dumped on 'my' thread, spoiling in my view, the view!

Richard, I too am uploading from my PC in a manner identical to the way I have uploaded many times before. It's an internal problem with the forum website, because as I said in my previous post there's an error message flashed up briefly when the post is submitted. Unfortunately it's too quick to catch. It's interesting that your post shows only the thumbnail rather than the full image.

Andy

Richard, I too am uploading from my PC in a manner identical to the way I have uploaded many times before. It's an internal problem with the forum website, because as I said in my previous post there's an error message flashed up briefly when the post is submitted. Unfortunately it's too quick to catch. It's interesting that your post shows only the thumbnail rather than the full image.

Andy

Andy,

I know my photo of the LARC is labelled as a thumbnail, but considering the size and the fact you can click on it a few times and get it full screen.

I have a feeling that those posting duplicate photos are loading the photo and also clicking 'Insert Online" (as I did with the post of a K2 ambulance). Some feedback from others is needed to see if this is what they are doing. Still could be an issue with the way the website is set, maybe it has had an update recently.

I am out of my comfort zone and knowledge with this now. Give me a hydraulic or engine problem any day!

cheers Richard

OK, I'll give a step by step account of what I'm doing, uploading a file that's trimmed to 1000 pixels max:

Click on the Insert Image icon, From Computer, Browse, Upload File:

attachment.php?attachmentid=125724&stc=1

The image appears in the message box, hit Preview Post to see what's happened. I briefly see an error message about "function preg.match" and the duplicate thumbnail has appeared.

I hope that helps?

Andy

IMG_7280aw.jpg

OK, I'll give a step by step account of what I'm doing, uploading a file that's trimmed to 1000 pixels max:

Click on the Insert Image icon, From Computer, Browse, Upload File:

The image appears in the message box, hit Preview Post to see what's happened. I briefly see an error message about "function preg.match" and the duplicate thumbnail has appeared.

I hope that helps?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I recall an issue in the past with clicking on Preview and pictures were lost, I never go on Preview. This problem only arose in April, so perhaps something has changed in the Website during that time?

Hi

i am trying to post an image that is uploaded to the attachments file, but I am buggered if I can get it to work. Can someone please tell me I'm idiot speak how to post images on the forum

Read my post No.16 above? The Insert Image icon is in the second row block of four just below the font size and smileys.

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...