Unusual Wheel Rim on GMC Pontoon Truck - any ideas?

N.O.S.

A CCKW pontoon truck was in the Cheffins Vintage Auction today. It was on dual rears, and had one odd rim. Is this a post-war rim? The truck had apparently seen service after WW2 in Korea - English data plates so no indication it had been in French service. I've not seen a rim like this before.

Pontoon Rim.jpg

A CCKW pontoon truck was in the Cheffins Vintage Auction today. It was on dual rears, and had one odd rim. Is this a post-war rim? The truck had apparently seen service after WW2 in Korea - English data plates so no indication it had been in French service. I've not seen a rim like this before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103741[/ATTACH]

I saw that too, wondered if it was meant to be that way but couldn't see a reason, didn't make as much as I expected as it looked in quite good nick but maybe a little tired.

I don't recognise it, but over on G503 I have occasionally heard mention of 'hand hold' early rims that were used on the three ton GMCs made just before the CCKW. I wonder if this is one of them?

I might poach the image and cross-post to see if I can get an answer there.

I am sure this is a French Rim , I have seen lots of 1 ton trailers and GMC`s with these rims on , ex French army . They even have a french makers name stamped into them .

Several bolster trucks which only stood in French depot`s still had English written data plates on them, Several even never had the engine`s rebuilt , only 300 to 600 miles on the clocks.

Joel Gopan came back with this;

Those have surfaced on CCKW's surplused in Europe, I had two trucks from Holland with them in the 80's.Those who have D. Doyles first CCKW Book Squadron Signal " Walk Around " with the photos taken at Kevin Kronlunds will see a SWB with one on the rear. I believe that SWB now belongs to Paul Veins.

They look odd but are just fine on an inside dual. I did not look for markings, but one of them on the Air Compressor chassis had a Japanese TOYO 7.50 X 20 NDT.

Gordon

Mystery solved. Thanks guys!

If this pontoon truck was supposed to have served in Korea, it suggests that vehicles from the Korean War were sent into Europe under the Marshall Plan? The Marshall Plan supposedly ended something like a year before the end if the Korean war.