Albion 6x4 10 ton Machinery RE

Sean N

Thanks Nick, I meant except the REME museum really - I hadn't checked, but I thought they had one.

Interesting comment at the bottom of the page - "A second example of this type of vehicle was restored by civilian apprentices at a REME Base Workshop" - wonder what happened to it?

I've always liked these, and if one came along in sensible condition I'd certainly consider it.

National Institute of Agricultural Engineering (NIAE) had one at Silsoe in the 1980s - used for drawbar pull testing of tractors. It was in nice condition having been regularly stabled. Hopefully it will have survived.

Silsoe closed in 2006, apparently, so it'll have gone now even if it did survive. Hopefully found a home rather than the scrap man.

Thanks Nick, I meant except the REME museum really - I hadn't checked, but I thought they had one.

Interesting comment at the bottom of the page - "A second example of this type of vehicle was restored by civilian apprentices at a REME Base Workshop" - wonder what happened to it?

I've always liked these, and if one came along in sensible condition I'd certainly consider it.

Just remembered, spotted last year an unrestored rusty Albion machinery truck parked outside in storage yard at the Muckleburgh collection Museum, Norfolk, awaiting restoration?

http://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/

Edited by Nick Johns

I was at the University over the road from the research centre from '99 - '03 and I don't recall seeing it over there then.

Silsoe closed in 2006, apparently, so it'll have gone now even if it did survive. Hopefully found a home rather than the scrap man.

I remember one of these coming into the Workshops for repair, this would have been mid-70's. The steering was really heavy, due to a large lathe mounted transverse in the front of the body. Cannot think now what I did to it, but thought at the time that it was a classic .... and that was 40 years ago !!!

NIAE:

I'm sure the Albion was in the auction of Silsoe machines upon its closure - there were some very interesting tractors etc so there would have been a lot of interest from collectors. Must have been a write-up in the vintage tractor press.

There was a 6x4 albion clansman mobile machine shop owned by a chap called andy who lived in bath he had it in the late 80,s it was in mint condition. he towed my haflinger home with it once and used to do all the avon area road runs and shows with it......

33KE44 was actually a Foden Recovery, so not sure why its number is on the Albion as it would have been in the B range of numbers.

A great asset to a workshop though, well kitted out.

regards, Richard

I'm not up on my numbers but i thought KE was a bit too recent, the chassis plate is damaged so its hard to tell.

Hi all,

The Albions, WD/HD/23s were all numbered usually in the BD, BL or BK sequence. The cargos usually 85 BL/55 BK, the long wheelbase workshops 98 BD/99 BD and the short wheelbase three-way tippers in the 84 BL series. For further reading; five page article in Heritage Commercials Magazine last month’s issue April 2015 along with a good piece on Graham Booth’s Rotinoff by Bob Tuck.

Bw,

Mike

A champ near me on a farm has the reg 18 RN 54 stamped into the plate it does not matter what military registration the vehicle has or did have as long as its being preserved that's the way I look at it after years of arguing about military registrations at shows. My puch haflinger had the same military registration as the said champ and it was also stamped into the chassis plate. Does anyone know what happened to Andy and his albion clansman mobile workshop? it was slow with a heavy steering from what I can remember but a lovely lovely truck

Hi all,

The Albions, WD/HD/23s were all numbered usually in the BD, BL or BK sequence. The cargos usually 85 BL/55 BK, the long wheelbase workshops 98 BD/99 BD and the short wheelbase three-way tippers in the 84 BL series. For further reading; five page article in Heritage Commercials Magazine last month’s issue April 2015 along with a good piece on Graham Booth’s Rotinoff by Bob Tuck.

Bw,

Mike

Agreed, here is an extract from VRNARMY:

55BK14 Albion 10 Ton 6x4 GS

55BK17 Albion 10 ton 6x4 Machy Wagon

55BK25 Albion 10 ton 6x4 Machy FV11102

A champ near me on a farm has the reg 18 RN 54 stamped into the plate it does not matter what military registration the vehicle has or did have as long as its being preserved that's the way I look at it after years of arguing about military registrations at shows. My puch haflinger had the same military registration as the said champ and it was also stamped into the chassis plate. Does anyone know what happened to Andy and his albion clansman mobile workshop? it was slow with a heavy steering from what I can remember but a lovely lovely truck

I don't think anyone's arguing about it, just trying to get to the bottom of what on the face of it is the wrong registration. It's probably not a surprise that your Haflinger might have had the same registration as the Champ as (I understand) RN registrations were re-used.

I don't think anyone's arguing about it, just trying to get to the bottom of what on the face of it is the wrong registration. It's probably not a surprise that your Haflinger might have had the same registration as the Champ as (I understand) RN registrations were re-used.

Evening Gents, still can't confirm the military reg number on my Albion, but the chassis serial number is 61103C, and back to the original question, apart from mine, the one David had and the one in the REME museum are there any more left that are still complete?