Washington DC naval yard

Great War truck

I was staying with my niece in Washington DC and went for an exploratory walk around the site. It is the oldest shore establishment of the US Navy being built from 1799. The yard is perhaps best known (unfortunately) for the shooting which took place there a couple of years ago which resulted in 16 people being killed. Most of the site has been empty for a long time and is currently being redeveloped. The museum of the US Navy is located there which I didn't have time to visit but I took some photos from outside the fence looking in:

IMG_7899_zpskpeb0y5n.jpg

preserved guard tower from the corner of the yard:

IMG_7904_zpsha7m2kyb.jpg

USS Barry - due to be scrapped this year

IMG_7873_zps3xae72le.jpg

IMG_7885_zps3uuselup.jpg

Vietnam period PT boat:

IMG_7892_zpshlipnw5b.jpg

Submarine conning tower:

IMG_7871_zpsnrum1zis.jpg

The old bolier shop which survived the yard clearance and is now a pub:

IMG_7867_zpsoeozvevo.jpg

Deck guns:

IMG_7872_zpsdyw77xxa.jpg

Armour plate from Japanese battleship (Yamota I think it was)

IMG_7903_zpsgemsgipw.jpg

I was amazed to see this 1918 US Navy railway gun.

IMG_7874_zpsvs6wkeku.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

Are you stillin the area, I work right across the river from the Navy Yard. I could have gotten you in the muesem, some very nice pieces inside. Sorry I missed you.

John G

Edited by 42 chevy

Are you stillin the area, I work right across the river from the Navy Yard. I could have gotten you in the muesem, some very nice pieces inside. Sorry I missed you.

John G

Thanks John, but back in the UK now. It would have been great to get inside as I could see lots of interesting stuff in the distance. The other side of the river looked a little dodgy to me when I was driving around getting lost.

I will let you know next time I am coming over, but that might not be for a while.

Thanks

Tim

Thanks John, but back in the UK now. It would have been great to get inside as I could see lots of interesting stuff in the distance. The other side of the river looked a little dodgy to me when I was driving around getting lost.

I will let you know next time I am coming over, but that might not be for a while.

Thanks

Tim

No worries, I work in the police complex across the river from the Navy Yard.

John G

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim

Greatly enjoyed the photos of the Washington Navy Yard. Sorry to see the USS Barry is to be scrapped basically in situ because the bridges below it on the Anacostia and Potomac Rivers can no longer open.

Hi John

So you work over in SE or is it SW Washington? I grew up living in Washington mostly in SW down near Bowling Field my father worked at the Naval Research Laboratory on the river and later over at the Pentagon. That whole area has seen a lot of change in the last 60 some odd years of my memory. Can remember the A-1's, SN-B's P2V's flying over the house going into the Naval Air Station.

Cheers Phil