Conduit Fittings

Does anyone know of a source for the screwed end fittings for the conduit fitted to the outside of AFVs? The Abbot has a number of mangled conduits that need renewing. I've managed to source some NOS conduits from other vehicles that will replace most parts, but not this large screwed union, which is 1" diameter (the parallax in the photo is deceptive):

IMG_6452aw.jpg

IMG_6455aw.jpg

Andy

I think Diana and Jackie touched on this in their Ferret wiring rebuild posts

Maybe ask them

R

Thanks Robin, I looked at that but I think they reused the old end fittings. That's an option although I'd prefer not to as they need splitting to get them off in the first place.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I am surprised that this thread has not generated more interest. I have several conduits on the Conqueror ARV that are rotten. In the Army, and I expect DSG, they will just demand the conduit assembly as one part number.

Has anyone got a parts list that gives a NATO Stock Number for the flexible conduit itself, esp the small dia one about 1/2 to 9/16". I could then do some digging. Quite often one has a longer length than required which could be shortened. I do not even know how the conduits are assembled. I have asked at Bordon and got nothing. I suspect that some form of press is involved.

John

Some of the fittings are soldered, the latest appear to be crimped onto a pvc covered conduit, also the fittings were brass and are now plated steel (basically they rust). Not that steel should cause a soldering problem.

The real problem is where to get the fittings - most likely Lucas - and I haven't followed through on that.

Diana

I have some NOS FV600 series looms that I'm going to cannibalise for the smaller fittings. They seem to have been manufactured by Rists but I can't find a current supplier. This is another example, purchased via eBay:

Wiring Harness.jpg

Andy

Edited by andym
Photo added

Dear All,

I am surprised that this thread has not generated more interest. I have several conduits on the Conqueror ARV that are rotten. In the Army, and I expect DSG, they will just demand the conduit assembly as one part number.

Has anyone got a parts list that gives a NATO Stock Number for the flexible conduit itself, esp the small dia one about 1/2 to 9/16". I could then do some digging. Quite often one has a longer length than required which could be shortened. I do not even know how the conduits are assembled. I have asked at Bordon and got nothing. I suspect that some form of press is involved.

John

I've dug out the attached, which may help - it's from the Abbot ISPL. Unfortunately without drawings of the actual harnesses it's a bit blind man's buff, but I think the fitting I'm after is 5975-99-804-1058.

Conduit Parts.jpg

Andy

Thanks Richard, I'll give them a shout, although if it's as reliable as the QinetiQ reference I don't hold out much hope. One of the other NSN sites shows a supplier called Aston who I can't identify. I've also emailed Leoni who now own Rists.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

I think that the old harness assemblies were soldered. Perhaps the FV600 ones in Andy's photo were soldered.

However, I sawed through and cross sectioned a more modern harness that was off a Chieftain. The assembly is pressed together and not crimped or swaged! The parts are re-useable and are all in brass. I turned up a drift that separates the assy by pushing the centre out. This did mean that I had to cut through the harness about an inch from the start of the fitting. I then reassembled the harness, to the desired length, by pressing the parts together. The difficulty was trimming the braid to the right length. In the end I just cleaned it up with a hacksaw blade. Since the fittings are in brass there is not a rust problem.

I intend to produce some drawings to show how they come apart and the dimensions of the tools.

I hope that this is helpful.

John

• 7 years later...

Andy,

I have got a better source of information at MOD now and maybe able to get further with this.  What we really want to be able to do is to make up our own harnesses to replace damaged ones. I will make some inquiries next week

On the military connectors found on FV430 range, Chieftain CVR(T) etc, I have found that the find thread is UNEF, Unfied Extra Fine.  Taps and dies are available.

804-1058 I can now probably make in very small quantities.  How many do you need?

John

Thanks John, I think I can carefully re-use the old fittings and put them on the NOS FV600 conduits that I bought back in 2015.  These seem to be a compression fitting similar to a hydraulic hose, so I've managed to free them by cutting off the old sleeves.  I'm still not sure how to replace the sleeves but I'll probably try gluing the fittings on and using heatshrink to tidy up the outsides.  Once painted the replacements will be undetectable.  I need to do all the front and rear sidelight/indicator conduits as they have been comprehensively mangled.

I'm currently looking to see where I put the old conduit with the 804-1058 so will get back to you on that if I may?

What bemuses me though, is that bearing in mind the number of these conduits present on old MVs, am I really the first person to address the issue?

Andy