Deelen dump. Anyone recognise this rear m/c carrier?

pino357

Does anyone recognise this rear motorcycle carrier? It looks to me like it's British and early 1930's. One like this was fitted to early BSA's. It was found on Deelen airfield known as the dump, so is most likely been used by the Canadian forces. it could have come from an impressed motorcycle. It also has four bolts welded onto it. Anyone know what bike the carrier comes from and what the bolts were used for? It measures about 13" long x 9 1/2" wide.

Any ideas??

IMG_3583.jpg

Edited by pino357

Hi my grandfather had a motorbike shop and I saw a similar conversion..basically the 4 bolts would have secured a box onto the frame....much easier than strapping items to the frame...

In terms of the carrier it's not triumph ..they had pressed steel carriers prep and early war and then changed to a tubular frame for the 3hw

Military carriers tended to allow for the fitting of side spanners ..what is the frames dimensions

Jenkinov

Hello

Thanks. I have put the dimensions in the text but it measures about 13 inches long and 9 1/2 inches wide.

Its very similar to one seen in photos in British Forces Motorcycles and other books of mid 1930's BSA's. Any other ideas?

It's wide at the front so presumably went forward to vertical saddle spring studs ?

The bolts look like a later bodge. Are the threads metric or imperial ? I'd also try measuring the tube diameter so see if it is exact in mm or inches. If it's not exactly 1/2" or 9/16" then it's probably not British.

Thanks Ron.

I have came up with the same blank but hoped that someone on here might know something else; it's always worth asking. It was recovered a few years ago from Deelen airfield, with the bolts welded on. The Canadians stored thousands of vehicles there as you know. I had already measured the tube size which is 1/2", so could only assume it's British.

I've just measured the bolts and they are 5/16 UNF. I would have thought that the Canadians would have used UNF threads? They didn't build any bikes that I know of, so I think it's still British but could also be American, though still no idea what it came off ??

The Canadians built the harley Davidson under licence ..the harley wlc ...c for Canadian.

But I checked and could not find any carrier on any photos like yours....

Jenkinov

No, the WLC was made by Harley to Canadian specifications. It wasn't built under licence.

Yes, I'm pretty sure its not American but is British.....

The Canadians built the harley Davidson under licence ..the harley wlc ...c for Canadian.

But I checked and could not find any carrier on any photos like yours....

Jenkinov