Lumax hydraulic shock absorbers

thedawnpatrol

Just looking at these on my PU, they appear to be empty of oil, but also show signs of leakage at the rocker shaft arm.

Has anyone rebuilt any of these units ? Is there rubber seals in them? How does the arm come out, it looks like it is pained over?

Anyone care to suggest a method for rebuilding ?

image.jpg

Just looking at these on my PU, they appear to be empty of oil, but also show signs of leakage at the rocker shaft arm.

Has anyone rebuilt any of these units ? Is there rubber seals in them? How does the arm come out, it looks like it is pained over?

Anyone care to suggest a method for rebuilding ?

The Luvax shocks were filled with brake fluid originally and if used with mineral oil at any time since, may have effected the seal behind the arm. I have had a few apart to fit seals, you do not remove the arm, but remove the arm and shaft together, but care has to be taken due to lining the splines up correctly inside. A core plug has to be removed to press the shaft assy out.

thanks Both

there is a good informative account of rebuilding these on the net, I came across last night, as you say Richard, its a matter of removing the 'core plug' and the seal/gasket behind then pressing the spline out..................

so in theory i'd need to source a new seal and core plug..................

Job for the weekend then !

cheers

Jules

Thats the one :tup::

I have contacted them, they can supply the rubber bushes for the link arms, and I'm waiting to know if they will supply the cylinder seals.

This morning I started to strip a spare one, just to see how it goes, getting the two end caps off is a real pain, as it is really hard not to damage the griping pattern on them, either in the vice or with stillsons

Then I managed to get the core plug out to expose the shaft, I tried a half hearted tap with the punch to test for any movement, but not a bit of it, I could try harder, but the original link said that it had to be 'pressed' out, that's probably beyond me, as I don't have a press......another trip to machinemart I expect !

Jules

I have contacted them, they can supply the rubber bushes for the link arms, and I'm waiting to know if they will supply the cylinder seals.

This morning I started to strip a spare one, just to see how it goes, getting the two end caps off is a real pain, as it is really hard not to damage the griping pattern on them, either in the vice or with stillsons

Then I managed to get the core plug out to expose the shaft, I tried a half hearted tap with the punch to test for any movement, but not a bit of it, I could try harder, but the original link said that it had to be 'pressed' out, that's probably beyond me, as I don't have a press......another trip to machinemart I expect !

Jules

Shame your not a bit closer you could have used my press . When he refurbed mine he ran out of the drop arm bush's and had to fit a couple an 1/8" shorter , I 'll get onto him and get the correct size by the sounds of it he's had some more made :-)

Dave