30 years ? How did that happen ?

IUTA009

Hi all, my name is Dan.

Finding a cardboard box in my parents loft a month back has lead me here ! Back in 1983 I met a mate of a mate who had an early Willys MB. As a kid I had built Tamiya kits and soon I was hooked on the life size stuff. We went to quite a few shows in '84 and '85 and I was also lucky enough to go to Arnhem for the 40th Anniversary. I met some great people and had some good times.

If anyone has issue 10 of Wheels and Tracks, turn to page 16 and I'm the handsome one at the back with the Jeep cap !

My mate John is on the left, his Jeep was an early slatted grille with a screw type trailer socket. Is DAP 259 still about ? Is John ??

The other mate I made during this time had a CCKW352 with a Set 7. Sadly, while looking through the archives on here I've found him referred to as " the late Dick Davidson". Richard was great, when John and I first met him at West Malling he named us "Wham in a Jeep" which stuck for quite some time.

On the Arnhem trip John and I were inducted into Dicks organisation *International Understanding Through Alcohol*. As you can imagine this led to getting completely pissed at any opportunity. I was member number 9 hence my username. In 1985 various things changed in all our lives and we lost touch.

Anyhow, I hope to contribute with many old pictures, etc and maybe sell some cars and buy something sensible in a fetching shade of Drab.

Thanks for your time !

If anyone could let me know anything about Richards passing and the fate of Schlachthof Funf it would be greatly appreciated, publicly or by PM.

Regards, Dan.

welcome on board. cant say I can help in your quest but can always assist in getting rid of alcohol

Should you find yourself ever struggling with this issue of alcohol disposal?...I'm also able to assist of course :)

maybe I should also admit when many years ago I was in the AWDC..... my gang of mates had some very 'unofficial' T shirts made up with the AWDC logo 'altered' somewhat to show a 4 wheel drive beer mug overflowing with foamy ale above our legend of

'All Wheel Drinking Club'

Unfortunatley....... :):)

..... the 'official ' AWDC didn't agrree with our mirth and orderd us to cease our T Shirt making activities forwith :):)

Anyways !...it's a big welcome from me too ! :)

Thanks to all of you for the welcome and to those who PM'd regarding Dick Davidson and others.

For over 30 years I've had a report that Dick wrote about the 40th anniversary trip to Arnhem and I've always made sure I've known where it's stashed. I would love to share it with the forum, it's photocopies of 4 pages of typewritten A4. It's pretty dog-eared and faded so I may have to transcribe it as I doubt it will scan too well. We shall see.

Give it a few days and I'll try and rustle something up.

Thanks again, Dan.

Hi Dan,

The years have certainly passed!

Do you remember all the crates of beer that were stashed in the back, hence you both sitting on the sides?

I still have the jeep, 33 years this year.

Can't remember my number it was 26,27 or 28, too much alcohol!!

James (front left in the jeep)

Hi Dan,

The years have certainly passed!

Do you remember all the crates of beer that were stashed in the back, hence you both sitting on the sides?

I still have the jeep, 33 years this year.

Can't remember my number it was 26,27 or 28, too much alcohol!!

James (front left in the jeep)

Brilliant ! How's it going ?

I remember the beer and the rest of the beers..... I also remember Dick pulling the bumper off your jeep :D

Great you still have it, I'll post the pic when I start my little thread. Gonna try and track John down too.

Thanks for joining in

Dan.