off to Tank Museum today

paulob1

For some dogs, the temptation to lift a leg will be too much;). They probably don't want anything to do with cleanup.

I'm glad that some places dont allow dogs,or at least some of their owners. I find that SOME owners are supprised when others dont love thier dog the way they do.

Some years ago a lady walked past my back gate,shame was for her that at the same time her dog was taking a dump I walked out of the gate....the lady walked on with NO intention of clearing said steaming tu*d up.

I called to the lady and asked her clean up the mess,"sorry I have no bags she replied" "I'm not bothered what you have or have not got" said I. She then tells me she would clear it up if she had gloves, I found some quite old medical style rubber ones. Shame was that when she picked up said mess the gloves started to break up......shame.

Moral of story, dont let YOUR dog foul unles you have means to clear it up.

yes they knew I was coming so all lined up as I arrived I shook all of their the hands the mayor and councillor, etc..nice bunch of people...didn't like the museum...soup in the canteen was virtually inedible...tasteless...and not even hot...

Afghanistan display ok, and personal stories very good...

yes they knew I was coming so all lined up as I arrived I shook all of their the hands the mayor and councillor, etc..nice bunch of people...didn't like the museum...soup in the canteen was virtually inedible...tasteless...and not even hot...

Afghanistan display ok, and personal stories very good...

Very suprised you did'nt like the museum, I think you must be the only person I know that did'nt like it.

In fairness its not as good as the Samur museum in France and is also about three time the price. We seem to pay more to get into our museums than the French. I have also noticed that French musuems dont seem to have cafe's....may their food would be rubbish to.

my collection isn't open to the public yet but I am hoping to have it running in the new year...the cold war museum...

watch this space...

This is an interesting question - How does an individual apply for UK Museum Status and what does the procedure entail?

There are many people who own collections of various things but it can't be a simple as just saying "I'm going to open a Museum"?

For example I do some work for a Private collector and he has 26 military vehicles but that fact alone doesn't allow him to class his collection as a museum.

Paulob1 - as you are going to open a Museum what red tape and legal obligations have you had to deal with and are you going to apply for profit status or non profit status? At what point did you had to apply to the UK Museum Directory to apply to join the Museum Directive?

I'm interested as this is something that may possibly come up in the future.

Markheliops

anyone can call a collection a museum to be a registered museum you need to meet a number of conditions set down by the museum and galleries this can take a number of years as some one who has been through this process it is not easy

to meet the requirements

Very suprised you did'nt like the museum, I think you must be the only person I know that did'nt like it.

In fairness its not as good as the Samur museum in France and is also about three time the price. We seem to pay more to get into our museums than the French. I have also noticed that French musuems dont seem to have cafe's....may their food would be rubbish to.

I have to disagree, Samur is a museum stuck in the past as far as customer interface goes; great exhibits, but naff all context. It's kind of like Cosford before the revamp! As someone with a detailed interest in the exhibits the old way if fine by me, as the Tank Museum used to be....for the general public its a boring as can be.

it is a fantastic place clean tidy and simply boring...great to see a tiger 11 sitting there, doing pretty much nothing, limited reviews and not much else...

Hey Mark as was stated above....the charitable status is a long process and my museum will be a business, every penny of which will go back into it to buy more material but it will not initially be a charity.. However if it ever starts to make money and the tax man starts to take it I will have to reconsider the situation. I will use the museum status to apply for a live firearms licence so that I don't have to pay for my machines to be deactivated which is an additional expense I just don't need... longer term the actual museum part may become a charitable organisation.

I have to disagree, Samur is a museum stuck in the past as far as customer interface goes; great exhibits, but naff all context. It's kind of like Cosford before the revamp! As someone with a detailed interest in the exhibits the old way if fine by me, as the Tank Museum used to be....for the general public its a boring as can be.

Fair point but its the exhibits I go to see. I'm not keen of some of the museums now display things. I'm also not a lover of row upon row of VDU's .

Each to there own I suppose, I'm stuck in the past I love to see old cabinets stuffed with things.

To me one of the best museums of all is the small motoring one squeezed in a corner of Burton on the water.....fantastic .

yes agree re vdu's to a degree but i think a museum, has to cover all angles and just great lumps sitting there all pretty just isnt what a museum should be about to me...it should tell you a story the history etc etc,...

yes agree re vdu's to a degree but i think a museum, has to cover all angles and just great lumps sitting there all pretty just isnt what a museum should be about to me...it should tell you a story the history etc etc,...

It's a fine point but just don't know how you do that :blush:

I dont think we are a million miles apart to some degree, but I still like the old fashioned one where there are artifacts almost pilled to the ceiling,THINGS I can see,smell and ALMOST touch. I can read books,see pictures and understand the stories from my arm chair but seeing the things in body I am able to envisage them within contect, I just cant get a Tiger or Sheman in my lounge yet.

I like to think of MY museum as something that evolves...