Airborne compressor trailer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried to start the engine today without any success except for a puff of smoke but it was a useful exercise as, after I filled the cooling system, I noticed that there was a leak from the water pump bearing which will need some attention, although it should not interfere with the engine running. Also there was no petrol getting through to the carburettor so an investigation showed a blocked fuel pipe at the petrol tank end (easily cleared) and also the fuel pump was not pumping.

This was taken off and carefully taken apart and we found that I had not put the new diaphragm in correctly in that I had not twisted and locked the shaft connecting the diaphragm to the operating lever. Pump re-assembled and it now works beautifully. A small oil leak was noticed from the oil pressure gauge/engine block union that at least shows that the oil pump is working but the concensus of opinion is that the timing is way out. There is a beautiful spark from the magneto so that is one good thing.

Unlike the standard Austin 10 engine there is no flywheel with timing marks so more investigation is necessary (when the weather is warmer).

My thanks to John Corden and Ian Greenhill (our electrical expert) for their efforts.

• 10 months later...

After a long break I am attacking the compressor trailer again and sorting out a couple of problems before trying to start it in the near future using our Murex trailer as a guide to settings, etc.

The oil pressure pipe was leaking and so I am getting a new pipe fitted to the old brass olives at each end and also sorting out the leaking water pump.

No problem I thought, just telephone Alderton Austin for a water pump repair kit, only to be informed that Austin 10 engines do not have a water pump! So what make is the professionally fitted water pump on my compressor trailer? It is ta same as on our Murex trailer but apparently John Corden's original airborne Murex trailer did not have a water pump. Is it something added by the REME because the older trailers were overheating?

I have included some photos of when I took it apart and as it is now in situ. Sods law says that I did not photograph the rubber sealing washer that is probably the cause of the leak.

Has anybody any ideas of where I could obtain a repair kit?2017-01-10 15.18.22.jpg

2015-10-25 12.06.51.jpg

2015-10-25 12.41.26.jpg

2015-10-25 12.45.15.jpg

2017-01-10 15.17.26.jpg

2017-01-10 15.17.34.jpg

Hi Tony

Here is the pump from the Tilly parts book. I can see the Austin utility prefix, 1G on your pump casting. Hope this helps.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard,

I have now downloaded the complete Tilly parts book where relevant and also been onto the Austin A40 owners club spares chap who told me that the last two sets of bits went to Malta last year (apparently Austin A40 and Tilly water pumps were very similar). He gave me the number of somebody who overhauls water pumps in the Midlands somewhere - possibly using a Renault seal that is similar so in the meantime will just watch the water drip slowly when we turn the engine over.

Thanks Richard,

I have now downloaded the complete Tilly parts book where relevant and also been onto the Austin A40 owners club spares chap who told me that the last two sets of bits went to Malta last year (apparently Austin A40 and Tilly water pumps were very similar). He gave me the number of somebody who overhauls water pumps in the Midlands somewhere - possibly using a Renault seal that is similar so in the meantime will just watch the water drip slowly when we turn the engine over.

Hi Tony,

I have heard good report on a company in the Midlands rebuilding water pumps and that they adapt to use a modern seal. Your pump may well bed in with use though.