Land Rover Lightweight 24v battery help

I need to buy two new batteries for my 1980 Land Rover Lightweight 24v - the batteries sit between the front seats under the standard metal cover.

The User Handbook says the correct type is a Lucas GV9A (44ah) and many people seem to be saying the Lucas 072 is OK. The current (dead) batteries are 118mm high and it seems the Lucas 072 is 261mm high - is this too high for the metal or are the current battteries too small?!

As ever, all help gratefuly received!

Not sure it will fit a lightweight but paddocks do a two battery plate and hold down bar to take two spiral wound Optima battery's, they fitted a treat in my SUMB battery box although it is designed for a Landy. Added bonus is they hold their charge for 6 months at least with the battery switch off.

A pair of 069 for a FFR , BUT check they fit some can be tight because although a BS the size can be just too long (without shaving the feet) with some makes due to bottom clamping facility.

A 072 is such as a Classic Range Rover & Disco petrol battery , also a alternative to 069 on a petrol Defender. I used Unipart Samson 072 on a 12 volt Lightweight for many years , warrented for as long as you had the vehicle (I had 3 for the price of one)

Although the nominal sizes of 072 are identical to 069 , there is in fact a height difference and I don't think it will go inside a FFR battery box. 072 was also listed for late S3 Petrol , IIRC it was standard fit BUT it had a different top clamp frame due to the shape of the battery top (box shape thinghy central position , IIRC this was for a vent pipe that shifted any acid spill on uneven ground clear of the vehicle on cars , the S3 LR civvy had a spill pipe on the plastic tray , I used to file a small knotch on 12 volt L'wt battery tray platform base - so this spill pipe & plastic tray could be fitted when 069 used)

Yes, for a FFR , a pair of 075 is possibly now the best size because it is flat topped like the 069 but is a bit shorter (36mm) meaning that depending on make (as with 069) you should not get too tight fit in the box.

Comparison :-

069 = 266L x 175W x 220 high 68Ah at 20 hr rate 505 CCA SAE

075 = 230L x 175 x 220 high 60Ah -do- 550 CCA (570A En230)

The current ratings will hardly make any difference between the two when in use as a pair , so it is down to clearance to the cover (IIRC the cover clearance is same with early & late types)

The pair of 075 are shown with DIY clamps & J bolts , so possibly not possible using the proper clamp frames ? I think that is because the 075 tops have the raised box as does the 072

I used to have a museum of old batteries for quick cross reference, unfortunately I let some go to a road patching contractor who apparently needed acid to clear his machine tar jets ?

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Hi Peter

Last year I replaced mine with the nearest to the original "look" I could find. They are Lucas 65ah and have found them to be excellent and fit a treat, no problem with battery box clearance. The batteries are 225mm high to the terminal tops.

19HF27 Battery fit.jpg

This was an earlier picture just after I had fitted them. I now have the pukka brass wingnuts and covers for the leads.

Regards

Bob