Land Rover larkspur help

lozzaboy

Can anyone help me with the fitment of larkspur C42 and C13 radio sets in the back of an FFR Land Rover please. I got and fitted the main radios and PSU's a few years ago and got a few connections boxes etc and bolted to the dexion to at least look the part but now I'd like to get it all set up properly, and if possible working too. I'll admit to getting lost when I'v been trying to look online and not really understanding what I need etc but if anyone with a complete set up could post pictures up with what the parts are call and any other information that would be so helpful, of if close enough even meet up and see what I'm missing etc.

10250121_10152023833522274_2346218340375797181_n.jpg

Hi

That looks like a 2A 109 if I'm not mistaken.

I wish I could help in the short term but I cannot think where my Larkspur FFR radio fit manual has got to.

One thing, and your vehicle looks really nice from the pic and this is no criticism, is that for a 2A FFR the dexy is wrong. The early Dexy fitted to 2A 109 FFR's had a lattice type work in the middle. Many years ago in my past life, the NITAT Hythe & Lydd range wardens had one and it was absolutely mint. This would be about 1989-91 I guess. Last year on glee bay there was a set for sale and I just wish I had bought it as it went for next to nothing. I didn't because I don't have a 2A 109 FFR but would love one.

I will do a trawl and see what I can come up with.

Regards

Bob

Although this is your combination it is in a Mk 5, but looking under Mk 8 refers the reader to this section.

What you need to look for is User Handbook for Radio Installations in FFR 'B' Vehicles WO Code No.12798 Jan 1963

App0309.jpg

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I'v been able to post on here, I have the user handbook you mention mate but it doesn't tell me (as far as I can tell) what cables I need to connect the J boxes etc up to each other that is what I'm really struggling with to find out and physically find too.

Yep I have the handbooks cheers mate, its just properly identifying what cables and boxes I need that I'm struggling with at the mo, as in physically seeing and identifying them etc, I see cables on the internet but no idea if I'll be wasting my money buying them and finding out if they're no use, got a few like that already.

The definitive layout & installation details for particular combinations of Larkspur equipment in particular vehicles, (Unarmoured, under 1-Ton & motorcycles) is contained in EMER COMMUNICATION INSTALLATIONS M 030-039 to M 470-479.

If you tell me the combinations of equipment you want to use I can tell you the exact sections to look for.

yep, that is the "O" (operators) box, it's purpose is to identify if the problem is the radio or harness. So having only 1 installed would deal with both sets.

What you must appreciate is that a large number of the guccie equipment was not on general issue, so most were done as single set installations. In my era our FFR's were LWB as CP's comprised of 2 x C42, BID 150, and a A43.

My current thinking for the set up from what I have already is to complete the C42 set and also see about fitting the A43 set too, and then in time see about getting the rest of the C13 set completed and fitted in the future. Also I took the FFR down the RAF Regiment Heritage Centre last week and the guys there said they used the C42 and A43 on the LAA/LLAD Sqns (Bofors 40/70's) so will be in keeping with that too as the 63 Sqn TAC plate was an LAA/LLAD Sqn in Singapore in the 60's too.

And how the back currently looks after a bit of a de-clutter lol.

C13 looks like its missing the atu,Ae current meter,the small box that stores the counterpoise along with the stake,think someone else said about J1 boxes,power distribution box/stop trays etc,remember that iirc without getting paperwork out a special lead is used fron the c13 aerial socket with a red band.

Looking at the picture to be strictly correct you would have the HF aerial on the n/s side arm and the c42 atu on the o/s/f wing,if i get a chance i will look at my sets and paperwork but i know it's buried someplace after decorating but thats a long story.

ps are you still interested in that mast?

I had a look in the REME Museum Tech Archive today and found Comms Installs M470 and M472. They run to 18 photocopies (4 plus 14). You can contact the REME Museum for the photocopies, the contact is Stuart Hepton, but mention that Robert Davey knows about the request. I am going in to the Museum again on the 15th July and can photocopy the documents then and get them sent to you. Cost is normally 10p a sheet plus postage, but contact Stuart and he will let you know.

• 6 months later...

Hi

The ATU you bought is for a Larkspur C11

If you look at http://www.wftw.nl/harness.html

you will see all the Larkspur boxes

In general for each set you will need an LT (power distribution box) and a J1 control box, and mic/headset.

Power cables are two core with Plessey Mk4 2pin connectors (power goes to the set and the J1 box)

Control Cables are 12 core with Plessy Mk4 12 Pin Connectors (goes from the set to the J1 box)

Microphone sockets on the J1 box are 5 pin Plessy Mk4 connectors

The larkspur O box is a special box that allows the operator to use the radio without a control harness, this generally only used in emergencies

Hope this help

Cheers

Richard