Irratating pop up............

gas 44

I clicked the little button in the top of the ad... It's taken me nearly all night to get rid of the advertising providers name - hyperlinks started appearing in the text body as highlighted phrases! Not having a go as it were, more a caution.:nut:

Joris has installed a thing call viglinks http://www.viglink.com/ which turns words and phrases in posts in to hyperlinks to advertising sites, it has been on HMVF for a couple of years, this has nothing to do with clicking an adchoices button.

Anything else appearing on your browser due to clicking eternal links is probably down to lack off or poor adaware/popup blockers or virus protection.

So am I right in thinking £600 a year is needed to run the server ?

As an aside I have NEVER brought clarkes shoes on line or looked at a Lexus car so if infact they are from my browser why do I see these ads ?

No you are wrong in thinking that Gary - it cost's more than that but we do have advert banners on here which helps bring the costs down to us.

Advertising on forums as always been a contentious issue, mainly because contributors feel they give their input for free which is quite understandable.

It has been the subject of much discussion over the years on HMVF, mainly because Jack in the early days had no idea that interest would grow like it has, and he really does hate adverts, so quietly shouldered the running costs himself for quite a few years for our benefit.

In the real world people visit a forum hourly, daily, every so often, when they come across it, or when they have a problem they need help with, or just for a chat.

Getting such a disparate bunch to agree to contribute regularly is never going to work, some will but not the majority, so adverts seem to be the fairest way to fund a forum such as this, no one is out of pocket or feels beholden.

If anyone has a problem getting over the minor peripheral vision distraction caused by a few adverts I reckon it's a poor show, the last thing any one want's to do is detract from our enjoyment on here, but when push comes to shove some thing has to give.

Lighten up out there it's only the inter web after all....

Thank you Bernard - I couldn't say it better myself, I appreciate your comments.

On August 1st HMVF will be 10 years old - we have all done some great work here. Learnt so much, saved history, shared knowledge, we have laughed and cried at times and certainly I, for one, have made some life long friends here.

Well known magazine editors have come here to find people and vehicles to fill their pages - which they get paid for, so they use HMVF to great advantages to themselves. One well known former editor was giving HMVF a kicking on a social media platform the other day. That's not really called for, especially when you take my above comment into consideration. So I and the Mods get a lot of abuse and cr*p for what we do and we do it all for free.

I am not a big fan of adverts either but as Bernard pointed out, it has personally cost me £1000's over the years. If you take into account that I have done that for nearly 10 years - then you can see that is a big cost from my own pocket - so when I do ask for some support I do it for a reason. And that's for the benefit of us all. And don't forget the Mods get all the cr*p too and they too do it all for free and for the benefit of us all and the hobby.

I have, for the last ten years, listened to ALL feedback and have acted upon it if I was able to.

As Bernard said "Lighten up out there it's only the inter web after all..."

thank you bernard - i couldn't say it better myself, i appreciate your comments.

On august 1st hmvf will be 10 years old - we have all done some great work here. Learnt so much, saved history, shared knowledge, we have laughed and cried at times and certainly i, for one, have made some life long friends here.

Well known magazine editors have come here to find people and vehicles to fill their pages - which they get paid for, so they use hmvf to great advantages to themselves. One well known former editor was giving hmvf a kicking on a social media platform the other day. That's not really called for, especially when you take my above comment into consideration. So i and the mods get a lot of abuse and cr*p for what we do and we do it all for free.

I am not a big fan of adverts either but as bernard pointed out, it has personally cost me £1000's over the years. If you take into account that i have done that for nearly 10 years - then you can see that is a big cost from my own pocket - so when i do ask for some support i do it for a reason. And that's for the benefit of us all. And don't forget the mods get all the cr*p too and they too do it all for free and for the benefit of us all and the hobby.

I have, for the last ten years, listened to all feedback and have acted upon it if i was able to.

As bernard said "lighten up out there it's only the inter web after all..."

:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

Edited by gas 44

Jack, I don't know if this is feasible, but in USA, we have regulations for non profits and once an enterprise obtains the nonprofit designation, it can solicit donations that are tax deductible for the donor. It makes a huge difference in the ability to draw in funds, because people look at it as a charitable donation that they write off vs. a payment for a hobby. I had this discussion with an outfit that saves dogs, and the lady running the place was always desperate to raise money for vet bills, but could not get enough funding. She would beg and plead for $20 donations. Another place that had nonprofit designation (called 501 c3 in US, after the chapter in the Tax Code) told me they would do two or three fundraisers a year and people would donate $50 to $200.

Something to think about...

Gary, download Adblock, its easy and free and it works. This subject has come up before! Maybe HMVF should do a Youtube channel and reap the benefits from that, if it works for Stampylongnose (ask my kids) for minecraft videos maybe it would work as well for HMVF. As long as jack doesn't mind doing the videos and talking in an incredibly annoying voice over the top.

Having donated before I feel ashamed to say that I have forgotten to pay this year.

I would be happy to have a flag bside my name with a count down to renewal time that I can see as a reminder and a badge of honour so others can see I have paid to assist in the costs of the forum.

Now I have to get my lady to do the paying bit, i'm not good at technology!

Robin