1980's REME LAD practices BAOR

robin craig

Question

Dear all, and especially those who served and know.

What were common practices for vehicle markings for Land Rovers for a REME LAD attached to a tank unit such as 4 RTR?

Did they have a tac sign on the doors? Did they ever carry the REME colours on a decal or hard plate at the front of the vehicle.

Was a tac sign like a wrench or spanner used, that is how it is done over here but I dont presume anything.

BAOR usage, so a Union Jack sticker front and rear?

Would REME personnel wear the black coveralls of the RTR with their own cap badges in a black beret?

Anything anyone can illuminate this with is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Robin

8 answers to this question

Dear all, and especially those who served and know.

What were common practices for vehicle markings for Land Rovers for a REME LAD attached to a tank unit such as 4 RTR?

Did they have a tac sign on the doors? Did they ever carry the REME colours on a decal or hard plate at the front of the vehicle.

Was a tac sign like a wrench or spanner used, that is how it is done over here but I dont presume anything.

BAOR usage, so a Union Jack sticker front and rear?

Would REME personnel wear the black coveralls of the RTR with their own cap badges in a black beret?

Anything anyone can illuminate this with is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Robin

Funnily enough, 82-85 I was RAPC attached 12 Armoured Workshop REME in Mercer Barracks Osnabruck. During that period 4RTR replaced 5DG in Imphal, at the other end of the same barracks complex and on my way home.

Would probably have carried a squadron sign on the door. I doubt they'd have carried any REME colours: BAOR was rife with Soxmis and Spetnaz sleepers and markings were strictly limited. Union Flag front and rear. I cannot imagine there being a callsigns board. The REME elements' callsigns were known to all and sundry.

They'd have worn black coveralls. Pretty sure they'd have worn black berets, but when your navy beret is minging with oil, etc and brushed with a black boot brush for parade, I can honestly say I doubt I'd have noticed the difference. As senior junior NCO (if you get my drift) in the workshop's HQ, I can safely say that even REME clerks were gungy, something that grated on the ex-cavalry me on parade every morning.

Dear Alien,

Knowing a small part of your service history from reading it elsewhere I was hoping you would reply.

Brilliant answers and what I suspected from my other research but wanted to see if it could be confirmed without prompting anyone down any particular avenue.

Thank you for replying

Robin

Alien,

would the squadron sign be the opposite colour to the background ie green on a black area etc or would it have been a different colour ie yellow or red. I have seen all types over time. I have been watching the Lionheart exercise series on youtube but it is difficult to tell which were BAOR based wagons and not uk ones.

Thanks

R

Alien,

would the squadron sign be the opposite colour to the background ie green on a black area etc or would it have been a different colour ie yellow or red. I have seen all types over time. I have been watching the Lionheart exercise series on youtube but it is difficult to tell which were BAOR based wagons and not uk ones.

Thanks

R

About 1977-8, 15/19H stencilled on their tac signs in white, but being stencilled, they were not particularly prominent. I have a vague idea that a few years later, probably after everything got painted IRR and the tac signs needed doing again, the tac signs were done in battleship grey ( or a meringue? ).

I am aware that in previous times, tac signs might have been done in different colours depending on (istr) major brigade in the division; minor brigade in the division; independent brigade ( yellow; red; blue? ) but not in my time. Actually thinking about it, I may very well have seen inverse-colour tac signs as you describe. I think it just goes to show that camouflage and OpSec trump clarity, and local choice trumps everything.

FWIW apropos of nothing relating to your question, our A vehicles had callsign boards screwed to the back bin. I think they were white on battleship grey, because being friendly-facing, not enemy-facing, clarity was more important (to the sub-unit and unit commanders at the back - I was going to try and parse in lyrics from Us and Them by Pink Floyd but gave up) than camouflage. Being held on with screws, if a grown-up's wagon packed in, he could hoof the Troop Second Corporal (an appointment, usually filled by a Lance Corporal or rarely a Trooper), usurp his vehicle and retain his own callsign. But since you are talking B vehicles, this won't matter to you.

Hope this helps.

;o)

There was always leeway given for Us in the L.A.D's. Usually with nearly ALL of the L.A.D's I have been attached to. It almost was up to the individuals who had a particular vehicle on charge. (On their signature)

Invariably, the O.C of the L.A.D Had a square plate in the centre of the Rad Grill. In the R.E.M.E Colours of blue, yellow & red. With the letters O.C in White in the centre. Sometimes painted on a Wing.

Quite a few had similar square plates on the front & rear. Sometimes with L.A.D in Black on a white bar at the top of the Corps Colours.

Also where possible, some vehicles had an alliuminium R.E.M.E Badge affixed as well.

This was EXTREMELY Common to Scammell recovery Vehicles as well.

it was also common practice, to have a large R.E.M.E Transfer badge on either side of the doors.

It was all down to what was available, & what the driver/ Person who had the vehicle on charge. Wanted to do Really.

Corp's Pride was a major reason as well as making the vehicle stand out a little. From 'Normal' vehicles in a particular unit!

I was a young VM serving with a couple of tank Regts in the early 80's. The REME vehicles for 4RTR would have had no markings other than the standard ones for the Sqn they were attached to. Nothing to show them as REME. Everyone in the regt knew the call signs so that was always enough. The Sqn call signs were on the drivers and passenger doors in Matt yellow so they showed no matter what colour the door was. We were not allowed to have REME colours on display as we were part of the regt. The fitter sections were completely integrated with the Sqns and lived in Sqn lines, paraded with Sqns and played sport for the Sqns. The OC and ASM were the only ones allowed to have REME badges on vehicles. The REME tac signs only started to appear in the late 90' when we came back from Bosnia. Everyone seemed to adopt the spanner symbol in flourescent Orange displayed in the top corner of the windscreen.

always happy to answer questions if need be as I joined the REME in 1980 and have still not left, but may be off in the next year or so, but I have a good memory.

The RTR always had yellow tac callsigns on vehicles.

The SCOTS DG always had grey tac callsigns on vehicles.

All others as I remember had black.

The Armd Corps were the only ones to have tac callsigns on all vehicles. The Mech Inf had tac callsigns on Armd vehicles but no one else seemed to bother that much.