DWS

Hi

Can anyone help please? I am looking for the following MoD Sales Catalogues:

Ruddington Sale No.112 (July 1971)

Hereford Sale No.14 - (January 1970)

Colchester Sale No.46 - (April 1970)

Winchester Sale No.16 - (February 1971)

Carlisle Auction No.62 - (October 1971)

MoD Stirling Sale No.? - (February 1972)

I am looking for information on the sale of ex-AFS Matchless 350cc Motorcycles. I have already accounted for 344 of the motorcycles in various Ruddington Sales catalogues (kindly provided by a member of the Forum) but I have been advised that more of these AFS motorcycles have been included in the above sales. Any information on these Sales would be very helpful.

Many Thanks

Dave

Edited by DWS

I don't have Ruddington catalogues (but would dearly like to look up 1958-1959 to see if my ex-military Landy is mentioned).

But Duty-Done CD I have bought, and it shows several Matchless machines disposed of at RD112 : WXR563, XYM552, XYM636, XYM637, XYM640, XYM641, 436BGJ.

Maybe there is some info from the other auctions you list, but have to pop out now, can look later if it is useful.

Steve

Hi Steve

Many thanks for that, I was advised that XYM636, XYM637, XYM640 and XYM641 might have been in RD112 but didn't know about the other three, thanks. However, can you confirm the number of 436 BGJ - could it be 463 BGJ?

Do you have the Date of the RD112 Sale and the Lot Numbers for the machines please?

Thanks for the offer to look for any more later, I'll wait to hear from you.

Tried to find a copy of 'Duty Done' for myself but it is now sold out everywhere :(

Edited by DWS

I got my copy from the Fire Brigade Society in August, try them - fbssalesunit@gmail.com

There are no lot numbers, but I am sure you will find the info useful, and its not much to donate to such a worthy cause. However there are gaps, they must have had access to a great deal of disposal records, but not all of them.

Yes, it does list 436 BGJ all on its own with no further details, but the note immediately after it says 450 BGJ to 493 BGJ were all Matchless G3 350cc machines, however they all seems to have been disposed of earlier (RD97 to RD107).

I have got myself more organised now! So here's a new list for Motorcycles at RD112

405ALD Matchless G3 Home Office - Oxford Frame A72230

406ALD Matchless G3 Home Office - Bucks/High Wycombe Frame A72234

436BGJ Matchless no details

NYV311 Matchless G3 Home Office - Bucks/10 (Wolverton)

WXR563 Matchless Home Office - Kent/Canterbury

XYM552 Matchless Home Office - Oxfordshire

XYM636 Matchless Home Office

XYM637 Matchless Bedfordshire/Dunstable

XYM640 Matchless Home Office Chassis A74256

XYM641 Matchless Home Office Chassis A74261

If you can get the CD then it will save me repeating the exercise for the other auctions you list, as it takes time to wade through and I have to run it on a different PC as the spreadsheet crashes my copy of Open Office (though its OK on Excel).

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for all this, it really helps.

I help run the AFS matchless Motorcycles Register and I can confirm that the AFS Matchless BGJ registration numbers ran from 450 BGJ to 493 BGJ, so 436 BGJ must either be a typing error does not refer to an AFS Matchless.

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. In the meantime I will try to get hold of a copy of Duty Done.

I would still like to get hold of copies/scans of the various Catalogues I am looking for, if anyone else on the Forum can help with this I would really appriceate it.

Ruddington Sale No.112 (July 1971)

Hereford Sale No.14 - (January 1970)

Colchester Sale No.46 - (April 1970)

Winchester Sale No.16 - (February 1971)

Carlisle Auction No.62 - (October 1971)

MoD Stirling Sale No.? - (February 1972)

Just realised the Title of the post should be MoD rather than MoS :blush:

Thanks

Dave

Edited by DWS

I can confirm that sales at Hereford 14, Colchester 46, Winchester 16, Carlisle 62, and Stirling 2/72 feature on the CD with Matchless motorcycles - over 20 for the the last one.

Drop me a PM if you can't get the CD and I will help.

Steve

Hi Steve

Many thanks for that, great info, thank you.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks to Clive too - I will update my copy of the Duty Done database.

I am not sure if there is a master copy currently being maintained and updated, it came with a cover slip indicating it was, by E.B. Angus, but when I tried the provided freeserve e-mail address it didn't work.

Edit : 463 BGJ has location information given as "Bucks/21 (Slough)"

Steve

Edited by Cheshire Steve

Thanks to Clive too - I will update my copy of the Duty Done database.

I am not sure if there is a master copy currently being maintained and updated, it came with a cover slip indicating it was, by E.B. Angus, but when I tried the provided freeserve e-mail address it didn't work.

Edit : 463 BGJ has location information given as "Bucks/21 (Slough)"

Steve

Firstly, many thanks ideed to Clive for the page provided, and to Steve and Sean for their information.

Clive, do you have a scan of the Front Cover for the Ruddington 112 Sale Catalogue please? You kindly provided me with some other Ruddington info in the past and it would be nice to keep them in the same format.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

Dave

Edited by DWS

Hi Steve, I am E B Angus although most people know me be my weekday name of TED;

Duty Done was published in 2007, most sales were by mail directly from me plus of course it was availible through the FBS. I sent out 2 updates by snail mail to my customers and also to a number of FBS customers who subsequently registered an interest with me. The building on the original Green Machine data base and the accompanying research took up many hours a day over 3 years; However, Duty Done was lost when I suffered from the dreaded PC failure, my new pc was a different system and at the time I was forced to change my e mail address as Freeserve could no longer offer me a service as internet provider in this area; although I had back up copies on CD which I was able to backload onto my new machine, some 5 years later I still haven't fully rectified the problems with things like pagnification so that couple with health issues I am resigned to the fact DD will never be re-release, but I always do my best to pass info to those that contact me. The problem with 463 viz 436 BGF is now reflected and corrected in the database. Dave and I have been in contact.

regards TED

Thanks Ted,

Great to hear from the owner of the database. I found it very interesting, not least because I have a 1956 Land Rover that first went into the army for 2 years then was struck off to the Ministry of Supply - so I was scratching my head wondering how and why such a thing could happen and what the MoS might want with it. I first found John Thompson, and bought his Green Goddess CD, then discovered the FBS had the Duty Done CD. It really opened my eyes to the number of vehicles involved in the civil defence roles in the cold war era. I had only just entered the world then.

I have been able to add some Land Rover updates from the series 1 era, and some other numbers used by the military research establishments and home office, such as some RGX and more UXM. But I suppose the list is endless if all government vehicles are included.

As regards my Landy, I think it was bent in an experiment at Boscombe (which was MoS), so the army made them pay for it. Internal lashing points suggest it was part of the air drop trials, probably sold out damaged via Ruddington 1958/1959. So finding those records is my next step.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this post, but it seemed like a logical place to ask my question about an MOS sale.

On a copy of a Key Card No.2 that I have for vehicle 72ZA38, it says it was sold off at MOS DISPOSAL BRN/1/5/404 which was on the 8/1/59.

Can any one possibly tell me where this disposal sale would have been held??

Thanks in advance,

Mel

BRANSTON nr BURTON ON TRENT held four sales a year and had a warehouse that could hold up to seven hundred

vehicles and at on time was used to store Green Goddesses was nr to the Crosse and Blackwell FACTORY [ so was it

in a bit of a pickle]

Hello Wally,

Many thanks for this information. Could you possibly also tell me where MKH/1/20 was??

Regards

Mel

• 4 years later...

Hi, as a spotty teenager in Nottingham who longed to own an EXWD B40 I heard stories from my peers who told me they sold 

bikes for a £1! Now 45 (ish) years later I would love to know the truth of what the bikes sold for.

Does anyone have any ideas of the facts please?

I once paid my 6d for a catalogue  with the bright idea of getting a bus there and "pushing" a B40 home!

As some one who collects post war  MOD sales catalogues  and have a fair few l have yet to come across any  such prices there are numerous tales and up to now have never seen even scrap vehicle been sold for such prices  in 1946 a rough  BSA M20 Cost £ 42 or a gents push bike for £ 3

Edited by wally dugan
spelling

On 1/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, xxl1960 said:

bikes for a £1! Now 45 (ish) years later I would love to know the truth of what the bikes sold for.

Does anyone have any ideas of the facts please?

Complete Myth...along with all the other myths of someone buying a truck and found a load of bikes in the back, and the old tale of Jeeps in packing cases sold cheap....it Never Happened ! ...nearly always told by somone who had Never been to a Military disposal auction

Edited by Nick Johns