Petrol Gennie Info sought

ferretfixer

Hello Members!

I am seeking info/ handbooks, instructions Etc. On the 24v 'Powerlite' Gennie.

I have just acquired one at a reasonable price. & the vendor informed Me that it was running a year ago. Before being stored in a Garage (I know, we have all heard this before! :-\)

I haven't looked at it yet. But I believe it's a points & Magneto set up?

So before I check out the carb floatbowl. Check the points & plug gap. & oil level, Any useful advice as to how this should run?

Or, anything I should be aware of before attempting to start it?

I have a cased 24v Penthouse lighting set. & bought this genie to power it all.

Thanks in advance, O' Keepers of the Knowledge! :D

Mike.

I don't have any specific info, but for any engine that has been sitting for a while that, supposedly, ran fine previously, you should be ok with an oil change and sticking a bit of oil/diesel/wd40 down the bore(s) and letting it soak for a little while before trying to start it.

My BSA 30v was not a happy camper, but a fresh spark plug and clean oil pretty much made it a new machine.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Mike,

Had a lot to do with those Powerlites when they were in-service, pretty basic, only one real problem with them at the time. Squaddies would let them fall over and oil would leak out of the breather. There was no dipstick it was a taper plug for filling to level of thread and therefore needed a spanner so oil was not checked. Had quite a number where the aluminium rod had seized on the crank. Bit noisy for camping though! Recall that it was a flywheel magneto and think it was a points set up.

Did you have any experience of problems with the Hopkins genny ? Problems to watch for ?

Don't know what availability is now, about 3 years ago there was a flood of them about - seemed quite recent manufacture & low hours.

One day I will get around to fueling up to see what the noise level is like !

Mike,

Had a lot to do with those Powerlites when they were in-service, pretty basic, only one real problem with them at the time. Squaddies would let them fall over and oil would leak out of the breather. There was no dipstick it was a taper plug for filling to level of thread and therefore needed a spanner so oil was not checked. Had quite a number where the aluminium rod had seized on the crank. Bit noisy for camping though! Recall that it was a flywheel magneto and think it was a points set up.

Thanks Richard. There is no evidence of any oil externally. So I had better check before running, that there actually IS oil in it! LOL :D It turns over OK & I want to check the plug gap & see if it has a spark? Checking the float bowl really is to see if there is any crud in it! :shocked:

As for noise. I will obtain some of that metal flexi-tube used in factories. To protect electrical wiring. & possibley add another silencer to the end to cut down decibels! :)

Never seen any publications for these gennies. But If Im honest, when I wasn't looking for anything. I may well have walked by some on a stall!......:nut: