Canal Defence Light

Packhow75

Some data I picked up a few years back - alas I dont have the whole publication these pages came from...:

CDL-1.jpg

CDL-2.jpg

CDL-3.jpg

CDL-4.jpg

CDL-5.jpg

CDL-6.jpg

CDL-7.jpg

CDL-8.jpg

I have some more pages somewhere as and when I get around to scanning them.

Hope it's of interest

Tim

I may be wrong but ?.....

I don't think they were ever used in their designed manner ? I know they were used as simpled floodlights in one operation (possibly the Rhine crossing ?) but I don't recall them being employed for what they were originally intended??? ... Always ready to be corrected though ! :)

Weren't these one of those camouflage things that Maskelyne invented?

No , Madskalyne claimed to have invented a number of things when really he was just part of the team. He does claim he worked on a device called Whirling spray that used a similar idea. That was a rotating ring of reflectors on the front of a searchlight designed to disorentate german pilots trying to bomb the Sueaz canal. Though these claims do seem somewhat dubious.

I may be wrong but ?.....

I don't think they were ever used in their designed manner ? I know they were used as simpled floodlights in one operation (possibly the Rhine crossing ?) but I don't recall them being employed for what they were originally intended??? ... Always ready to be corrected though ! :)

They were used on the Scheldt crossing.

He does claim he worked on a device called Whirling spray that used a similar idea. That was a rotating ring of reflectors on the front of a searchlight designed to disorentate german pilots trying to bomb the Sueaz canal. Though these claims do seem somewhat dubious.

That was the thing I was thinking of.

The intention was that a powerful stobe light diredted at the enemy positions would disorentate the enemy, especially such specalist personnel as Forward Artillery Spotters. The Whirling Spray device mentioned was envisaged for the defence of the Suez Canal. The idea being you couldn't actually hide the thing from German bombers, but if the bomb aimers were confused they couldn't hit the target. Where CDL was used along with sound decption and other deception tactics it was shown that if you didn't effect the individual, it certainly confused the command and control.