Original genuine Tiger tank

PanzerJohn

That is one serious 'needs some work' project :):)

I've bought a few motorcycles that came in cardboard boxs and assorted armfuls of other bits and I've had quite a number of Landrovers over the years in varying degrees of that old euphemistic chestnut of

' dismantled and ready for renovation ' :)

.... and I thought they were quite bad enough to sort out 'what I had and more importantly, what I was missing' ! :)

...I can't see a price but I can start to imagine what it'll be .........

what do others on here reckon he's asking/expecting for that pile ? £250,000 ? more? ...

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

lol, if you have to ask how much it costs then you can't afford it.

seriously though a tiger's got to be worth well over £2 million. the trouble with this one is it has no provenance and will be mostly reproduced parts once it's built so I don't know how it could go over £250k as it sits but if someone wants it bad enough the skies the limit.

I must admit it makes me a little sad to think there are probably less Cromwell's in the world than tigers but a Cromwell wreck is worth a tenth of the tiger wreck !

funny old world

rick

well as Rick says ...I fully appreciate a Tiger may well be worth millions and can and will only go up in value too...

...... but this..... isn't a Tiger is it ? :)

What it is. is a pile of assorted Tiger bits....... that when eventually put with a whole STACK of other bits and an equal stack of money...will feasably become.... one day ....another Tiger...( I do appreciate that reading the description it would seem there are a lot more parts available than there are pictures including fair chunks of the hull and turret ?? )

..but it is an incredibly long way from being a Tiger at the moment..even folk with incredibly deep pockets ( like Mr Wheatcroft) may baulk at such a project I feel....when this is finished it's still not going to be a genuinely 'real' Tiger..... I'd say over half of it, probably more is going to end up being reproduced ...

For all the incredible amount of money and many years of very hard work it's going to take for that pile of bits to resemble a Tiger ? ?.....I think I'd settle for that awesome replica those Ruskie fellas made a few years back ... :)

Adrian B said to me years ago now.....you never know what people already have stashed away, this little lot may be all a collector needs to tip his tiger lower hull plates into a viable project. Did anyone ever reveal the destination of the other Tiger hull being fabricated in the photos of the Munster Tiger 1 a couple years ago?

Edited by ajmac

hi, does anybody think this is a scam, they say that there are only 7 tigers left in the world but ithink thats way out, i believe bovvy has four, there are at least two in the museum at samur, we have the vimoutiers tiger here, there are at least three in belgium including la glaize and several in russia, in germany they have the ex aberdeen proving ground tiger and the us has a couple more. having said all that there are only two runners in the world, a king tiger at samur and bovvys 131, hope of interest, tony g.

Well 7 sort of fit how many Tiger I are left, excluding the two Sturm tiger (38 cm Rocket launchers), what Weathcroft has and the one in back ground of the picture earliere mention.

But yes if Tiger II and Jadgtiger is added the number is bigger than 7

Tiger 1 known survivors

Bov (Runner)

Kubinka

Saumur

Vimoutier

Munster (Stitched together from bits from Trun scrapyard & modern parts)

Lenino-Snegri (Wreck-ould do with many of these bits to better restore it)

Fort Benning

Tiger 1's, Bovingdon 1 (runner), France 2, Saumur and Vimoutier wreck, Germany 1 (Late assembled from wreckage),Russia 2, Kubinka (internal damage) and wreck at Lenino ,USA 1, sides cutaway. There is at least 1 more being made from wreckage and 2 rumoured to have come from Russia, 1 to USA, 1 to UK Kev Wheatcroft has large chunks of several wrecks

King Tigers, UK 2, France 1 runner,Belgium 1, Germany 1, USA 1, Russia 1, Switzerland 1,, there is a wreck under a road in France and Kev Wheatcroft has large chunks of several wrecks.

info here..

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Tigers.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
No scam, these will be bits of either one or several Tigers, dug up somewhere on what was the Eastern Front. Many chunks have surfaced over the years.

These appear to be coming out of Russia. If so, the Russian laws are very strict that military items over X years old (can't recall what X is, but WWII stuff qualifies) are State artifacts and are impossible to export legally. Whoever buys this better be paying COD, with delivery outside of Russia....

• 1 month later...

It's an interesting collection isn't it? even though the add plainly states "contact Alex Televich in the Czech republic" , My first thought was " these are more parts dug up in Russia" because practically every newly discovered panzer relic seems to come from Russia. However it's hard to imagine digging up 35 tons of steel in Russia, and shipping it home, especially if your not Russian.

It took a little searching to realize in that the Germans sent some heavy armor divisions to replace the Hungarian government which was in danger of capitulating to the advancing soviet army. This had already happened in Romania and the Germans weren't about to let another allied government switch sides so easilly. The schwere Panzer Abteilung 503, heavy panzer battalion , had a mix of Tiger1's and Tiger 2's, supported with Pz-3's in the role of scouting and quick reaction, (infantry suppression?) roles. The 503rd has an interesting history, first the Russian front, then Normandy where they were caught in a carpet bombing campaign from US AF heavy bombers out in the open and lost almost all their armor, then finally the Balkans.

After Hungary was overrun, they fell back thru Czechoslovakia and then Austria into Germany. They lost a number of tanks during all this, more blown up by their own crews that destroyed by Soviet forces, so this region could be a gold mine of relics related to heavy panzers.

the recent discovery of the grave of the highest scoring tank ace of the war, Kurt Knispel, in the Czech republic I think is an indication of what this area might yield in the future.

Edited by draganm

• 4 weeks later...
The owner where asking 450.000 euro, but I dont know the final price
that doesn't surprise me really, especially considering there were duplicates of the gun mantle, front glacis plate, road wheels= early and late, turret roof, commanders cupola= early and late, etc. Whatever parts they don't use are only going to go up in value.

Still, that's a huge sum of money for someone in Eastern Europe to pocket for digging up some rusty steel. I can see the headlines now

" New Flash!, all metal detectors in Eastern Europe sold out, not a one to be had" :laugh:

• 6 months later...

alright dammit, it's been 4 month now, we've see this stuff on "Combat Dealers" where it was purportedly not for sale , etc. , now it's just disappeared.

Where has it gone? Is it with Compton or Wheatcroft or did the king of Jordan get this? (hopefully not)