MF50 Tug question

rig_pig

Hi guys, my first proper post and straight in with a question! At the museum I work at, we have an ex-RAF MF50 tug. We are not aware of its full history but it is wearing quite a rough civvy paint job at the moment and we would like to return it to its original glory. We want to go for the traditional green with yellow stripes but I'm struggling to find any pictures that show the stripe layout or any other details. Can anyone help?

Here is 'Trevor' in his current glory......

10375139_10152607016992267_5099129636881965004_n_zps432b4a56.jpg

Ah, that's great, thank you. I see it's at St Mawgan as well, just like ours! I notice it doesn't have the yellow stripe. Would these have been removed by then? Unfortunately airport rules state we need a hi-vis stripe so I'll probably just replace what we already have.

Well, the strip down ready for paint has started. It won't be a long term resto project, just a repaint as she is still very active and can only be laid up for a short while.

Here she is at the moment:

11046812_10152661032477267_7006338719288104920_n_zpsteeuio0a.jpg

And this is the look we are going for. The boxes on the front appear to be hydraulic and air reservoirs for extra equipment and we may replicate these in the future. The first job though is to fabricate up a replacement for the missing warning light triangle and somehow research her original service registration number so we can get some plates made up. Does anyone know how to go about this? All we have is the chassis number.

00AY64%20St%20Mawgan%20August%201997_zps6e7rcppt.jpg

Ah, that's great, thank you. I see it's at St Mawgan as well, just like ours! I notice it doesn't have the yellow stripe. Would these have been removed by then? Unfortunately airport rules state we need a hi-vis stripe so I'll probably just replace what we already have.

This is only a vague memory but I seem to recall these coming out through auction with a broad stripe on along the lines of what you have, but about two or three times the thickness.

Whats the story with that hunter its towing? Was it one that had the pointy nose cone on?

That is our Hunter T8. Ex-Royal Navy Fleet Requirements. She's currently undergoing a light restoration and repaint into the colours she wore back in the 70's. Never to fly again unfortunately but she'll look great non the less. http://www.classicairforce.com/hunter-info

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been slow progress but the tug has finally changed colour! We had some semi-gloss dark green left from our Harrier restoration so that got rollered on. Today I rubbed down and primered the bumpers and pintles. Hopefully next week should see the yellow/black stripes done and everything bolted back on.

11088705_10152713345537267_1853469123_n_zpsw6sjmvu2.jpg

Well, it's been slow progress but the tug has finally changed colour! We had some semi-gloss dark green left from our Harrier restoration so that got rollered on. Today I rubbed down and primered the bumpers and pintles. Hopefully next week should see the yellow/black stripes done and everything bolted back on.

]

Getting there :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's finally finished. A little bit of artistic licence here and there and it still needs new windows making for the rear but I think it really looks the part and being a working tug, we can't have it off line for much longer. First though, we dragged it out for a little photo shoot. Hope you guys like it.

11156407_10152747080937267_5911397144835452997_n_zpspkirbbak.jpg

11138555_10152747081632267_3501517919906060102_n_zpstgzahgez.jpg

11113576_10152747081192267_7794250976879417174_n_zpsmlvoranc.jpg

11133717_732413196878161_8966319950503766863_n_zps9ufhp1bt.jpg

10956092_732413213544826_6628795917434165401_n_zpskpzq7x47.jpg

That looks very smart and very tidy and oh so much better than it did.

You are so lucky that you can display the original military registration numbers etc.

Is it the light or the material used that makes the yellow horizontal stripe look pale? Pictures and real life left me with the impression it was a bit darker, almost the same as the yellow at the back weight.

Anyway, cracking job, no one would know its wasnt still in service unless you told them. Really looks the part now.

Congrats

Robin

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed doing it.

Unfortunately, the museum as we know it now is closing. However, the majority of the aircraft (and the tug!) are likely to be signed over to a group of volunteers and displayed around the former RAF St Mawgan HAS site at the other side of the airfield. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead, they are desperate for funding to help kick start this.

That looks very smart and very tidy and oh so much better than it did.

You are so lucky that you can display the original military registration numbers etc.

Is it the light or the material used that makes the yellow horizontal stripe look pale? Pictures and real life left me with the impression it was a bit darker, almost the same as the yellow at the back weight.

Anyway, cracking job, no one would know its wasn't still in service unless you told them. Really looks the part now.

Congrats

Robin

Thanks Robin. You're correct, the yellow stripes are the wrong colour unfortunately. I was going to paint them on in the same yellow as the weights but time scales decreed that I had to use vinyl stripe instead. I do plan to over-paint these stripes in the future though.

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed doing it.

Unfortunately, the museum as we know it now is closing. However, the majority of the aircraft (and the tug!) are likely to be signed over to a group of volunteers and displayed around the former RAF St Mawgan HAS site at the other side of the airfield. Fingers crossed it all goes ahead, they are desperate for funding to help kick start this.

I had heard a rumour this was happening I hope the plans to keep a museum on site work out for you all.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the good news is all of the aircraft and the tug are staying at Newquay, albeit in a new location on the airfield. Bad new is, I am not as there will no longer be any paid staff there so my contract has ended.

I did however, manage to capture one last picture of the MF50 alongside one of its hangar mates:

10841970_10152763216302267_3645258480948112645_o_zpsi8x8rwrm.jpg