Operation Badger Harwich 70th VE Event 2/3/4 May 2015

Don Robert

From the Team that brought you "Operation Bolero " 2007 . Plans are in progress to Organise a 70th anniversary of VE Day at Harwich Essex 4th May ( Bank Holiday Monday ) this year. Harwich Harbour was an important port during WW2, and has much history to explore . Allied Military vehicles from WW2 are invited to attend this event and camp over the w/e from Friday 1st May on a 3 acre meadow 3 miles from Harwich. It is envisaged a convoy run out on the Sat and Sun to local points of interest will be undertaken.

This is an "heads up " of an Event very much in its infancy, but needs to happen "Lest we forget " . I need to know what level of interest there is in this event either for the 4th only or the w/e camping as I am in talks with our local council officals..!!! please e-mail me at edd@abbottracing.com. for further info.

Ed,

Looks like quite a plan and as you say, a very worthy reason - I'll certainly be there! I've heard that Maurice Hammond will be doing a flypast in his P51 Mustang - is this true?

It is true a P51 display is provisionally booked, but funding for this and other elements of the event are yet to be finalised. Several people have already confirmed support for this unique event that will make a great family w/e on the sunny East coast of England.

It is true a P51 display is provisionally booked, but funding for this and other elements of the event are yet to be finalised. Several people have already confirmed support for this unique event that will make a great family w/e on the sunny East coast of England.

A successful meeting with our District Council has given tacit support for this event and funding for possibly 2 x P51 Mustangs to display. Mustangs over Harwich would have been a common sight during WW2 from neighbouring US bases... With very few 70th VE Events planned nationally or locally anywhere for reasons beyond me...but the Election on May 7th has a large bearing on this...even the Government are now scrambling to get an Event together because someone forgot...it is National disgrace that this Anniversary will almost past by un-noticed in the UK...its a National Holiday in France and other European Countries...

Our Event will now develop as a organising team get cracking to get local WW2 Veterans involved as they are a finite resource and won't be about much longer..

Owners of WW2 Vehicles and re-enactors are welcome to be part of this event and I would urge you to check your Diaries and see if you can make it...I was part of the massive Anniversary 50th 20 years ago, in the UK and Holland and it would be nice to try to re-create some of that spirit in 2015...while we still can...

• 1 month later...

As an update to this earlier post, and in case it has dropped of your radar I can report subject to CAA approval Maurice Hammond will be displaying his P51 Mustang over Harwich Harbour on Monday 4th May 14.30 hrs approx. This will be supporting "Operation Badger " an event to celebrate the 70th anniversary of VE day at Harwich Town. Approx 25 WW2 Vehicles are committed to this event camping FOC 3 miles from Harwich , with Campfires and BBQ Sat+Sun Evenings. there will be Convoy run outs Sat and Sun to local areas of WW2 interest. Owners can pick and choose what days they want to attend. On Monday ( bank holiday ) we will run into Harwich and park next to the Air display area.

Further entries are still welcome so please feel free to contact me. Ed Abbott 07798 768088