Hello from Pembrokeshire

Hi all, we're based in North Pembs from where we run a RIB charter business... We have a few ex military craft, our most recent acquisition being an Halmatic Arctic 28 RIB.... A Royal Marines / special forces boat.

We tow with jeeps, but require a more rugged machine / Tractor substitute for short trips to slipway, capable of coping with a 4 tonne boat.... and a bit of fun for camping etc. Given the relatively light use etc, the need for good vfm (and my love of V8's) we've been looking for a nice SUMB (Simca Unic Marmon Bocquet).... I often saw these when I wasn't seriously looking, but now I want one.... Can't find one (well, not realistically priced /working condition etc)..... It also needs to be MOT and Tax exempt.

ive enjoyed reading related threads on this forum, and look forward to learning more..... If anyone has or knows of a SUMB I'd be really grateful for a heads up!

Thanks all, Dan

Hi

The official towing capacity of the SUMB is actually only 2 tonnes for a braked trailer and 1 tonne unbraked according to the handbook MAT2719 "Masse maximum remorquable" which surprised me as it is so much bigger and stronger than a Landrover 101 !

Welcome here and nice to see another SUMB fan online ! If you find one and need any docs let me know. 08-09.jpg

Regards

Iain

Thanks for the welcome all!

Hi

The official towing capacity of the SUMB is actually only 2 tonnes for a braked trailer and 1 tonne unbraked according to the handbook MAT2719 "

Iain

Thanks for that Iain, that's helpful and a bit of a shock (and a problem for my plans)..... The plate mounted in the cab of a SUMB which I'd seen previously stated 6 tonnes (or I may be making that up, but was pretty sure at the time) ;)

The new boat weighs in at the 4 tonne mark trailered ....more if the 2x 350 litre fuel tanks are full!!

image.jpg

Hi

This is the plate from mine - Poids Total En Charge is the GVW I think. You probably need to look at a Berliet to get a similar French vehicle of sufficient capacity (there was a nice Berliet recovery on e-Bay last year but I dont have the space to keep one ...)

I had similar plans when I bought my first one as I had a 2.5 tonne trailer at the time so glad to save you the same surprise. They are fun vehicles given a bit of investment in brakes and the fuel system though :)

Iain

name-plate-photo.jpg

Edited by g0ozs

What a shame... Am I right in my understanding that they made a 1500kg sumb then a 3000kg model? Might that have a bearing on tow capacity I wonder? Might have to end up with a tractor for the work and a Sumb for fun! Although negotiations with the other half may have hit a sticking point if it won't pull the boat, that was my main bargaining point:-)

Dan

Yes there was a long wheelbase 3-tonne SUMB - I think they were made towards the end of the SUMB production run as late as 1968-1970 as support vehicles for the AMX-30 tank in quite small numbers - I have never seen one advertised or photographed in the UK though. Whether the towing capacity was any greater I don't know as I understood the braking system to be the same - my initial thought would be that converting from 1500KG onboard plus 1000KG unbraked trailer and 3000KG onboard with no trailer needs very little upgrade to the brakes. Having said that a SUMB in good condition stops violently when the brake pedal is depressed enough to trigger the air !

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs