I was thinking more the folding boat type ferries as I could not think how the class load related to vehicles other than their actual rating. trevor

Trevor good that you are thinking of situations other than bridges. But its not boats & ferries.

CLIVE have l been looking at this the wrong way is it less to do with weight and more to do with what it is
Wally it is good you are thinking beyond the normal bridge load & bridge situation. Class of load/weight is very important in this situation.

Sorry a bit slow to answer had to retype this several times my hands are still frozen.

Does this only apply to class 5 & 9 loads and not to any other load classes?
Very sensible question Sean. These are the maximum Class loads, the listing includes all lower classes.

The lowest is "Infantry in single file in open order...........................2 in."

I can't think why it wouldn't apply to higher classes than 9, but ... metalling or hardcore depth on roads?
Not that Sean.

In summary we have the Bridge Load Classes that in this instance does not apply to roads, bridges, ferries, pontoons or boats yet is important for crossing water in certain circumstances.

It is WW2 but that is no special clue, but there is a very significant clue in one of my answers that may not seem like a clue.

In summary we have the Bridge Load Classes that in this instance does not apply to roads, bridges, ferries, pontoons or boats yet is important for crossing water in certain circumstances

...and only applies to loads up to Class 9, and class / weight is very important. Hmmm...

It's niggling me that I know what this is and have read it recently, but I can't bring it to mind.

It's niggling me that I know what this is and have read it recently, but I can't bring it to mind.
Annoying isn't Sean :D

When someone gets the answer you'll think yes of course I just hadn't thought of that particular situation :D