S.t.u.f.t by the royal navy

seawolf

SHIP TAKEN UP FROM TRADE (S.T.U.F.T)

Just for interest this was the ship i served on in the Falklands 1982 MV Astronomer (NP2140) Became so exspensive that the RN bought the old girl calling it RFA Reliant

picture gives a good plan view of the dockies work to bring it up to Helicpoter support ship

She was owned by Harrison line.

astronomer.jpg

Just brought it to mind that my father first went to see on a Harrison Ship in, I think in 1930 - she was the S.S.Warrior. The crew were allowed to go ashore in New Orleans during one voyage but before doing so, the crew were lined up on the deck to have their "you know whats" inspected by the Port Medical Officer, so that he could ensure that they were not bringing any thing unwelcome with them! It looks from the picture above that the Harrison House Colours on the funnel remained unaltered over all those years - two bands of white and one of red - or as my father described them "Two of fat and one of lean".

Tony

Hi Tony

we went down in full Harrison colours no time to paint her even flew the harrison flag

later in life when she became RFA Reliant she went grey(not from age though).

we took civvie crew with us at first it was a little awkward as they didnt like the Royal Navy taking over but soon gelled with us, great bunch of guys

• 2 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 1/21/2015 at 11:59 AM, seawolf said:

SHIP TAKEN UP FROM TRADE (S.T.U.F.T)

@seawolf

ust for interest this was the ship i served on in the Falklands 1982 MV Astronomer (NP2140) Became so exspensive that the RN bought the old girl calling it RFA Reliant

picture gives a good plan view of the dockies work to bring it up to Helicpoter support ship

She was owned by Harrison line.

astronomer.jpg

@seawolf I have just found out my uncle served on this ship as chief cook sailing to the Falklands if this account is still being used I would love to talk

Edited by mikej.1981

Somewhat tangential but I noticed one of the P&O Falkland's War commemoratives came up on ebay recently.  It failed to attract £1200 and was reoffered for £1000.  Not a tacky item but I'm not sure about the valuation.  Actually, when I think about it a bit more, I am...

This link is a good listen <https://www.rmg.co.uk/.../falklands-conflict-oral-history...> and this is quite a nice summary of P&O's contribution <https://www.poheritage.com/.../south-to-the-falklands....>

A

IMG_9517.jpg

IMG_9518.jpg