Chieftain MBT Mk10 info requested

Markheliops

Hi guys.

I'm in the process of beginning turret removal on a Chieftain MBT Mk10.

Could someone please point me in the direction of what manual (if any) will detail such a procedure?

If someone has the appropriate sections in a manual and could mail them to me - I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Markheliops

Hi Mark,

Not too sure if this is of help, but I do have th handbook for MKs V - XII on PDF, and it's amendments.

I've removed the RBJ out of our MBT with the turret on - lots of swearing and WD-40. Worst bit was undoing all the connections that were saturated in mud!

Would love to watch you remove the turret. Also if you come across how to adjust the traverse and elevation clutches please let me know.

Hi Caddy.

Thanks for the offer but I would imagine I'm going to need a manual detailing base repair as turret removal would certainly have been an ABRO related job.

When you say adjust the traverse and elevation clutches, do you mean to stop the turret creeping or something else?

Regards

Markheliops

Yes, so that the gun dunt drop on yer head if you go over a bump or the turret keeps turning when the rest of the tank has stopped.

Spoke to someone who said that there is a way of adjusting both clutches to take the play out of them...

Yes, so that the gun dunt drop on yer head if you go over a bump or the turret keeps turning when the rest of the tank has stopped.

Spoke to someone who said that there is a way of adjusting both clutches to take the play out of them...

Caddy.

Are you powering the gun control equipment up or are you talking about driving the tank with no gunnery systems powered?

Mark

Just driving, we don't really have the room to power up the turret, and we haven't checked any of the electrical systems to do with power traverse. Would love to see a Chieftain in full swing so to speak.

Just driving, we don't really have the room to power up the turret, and we haven't checked any of the electrical systems to do with power traverse. Would love to see a Chieftain in full swing so to speak.

Caddy -

I've been thinking about your main armament issues:

Check the pressure of the recuperator cylinder - this is used to hold the gun at rest and absorb some of the recoil after firing. It should, if at the correct pressure, be able to hold the gun at all angles of elevation but if it has no pressure or is low, you will fine the gun moves up and down as you cross uneven terrain. It does hurt when the 120mm gun comes bouncing off your head! The gauge should be reading 500lbs. If it's reading way below that or zero - that's your problem.

You should also have the stop plate fitted to the breech block to stop the gun sliding backwards as in recoil. if the gun slides to the rear, it will elevate quite sharply and you can become trapped in the mechanism.

To be honest, I'm not sure to what this chap was referring too in regard to the clutches. As far as I'm aware, the only clutch in the transverse system is the clutch that prevents the handle spinning round when you power up the powered transverse systems. There is another clutch built into the system that safeguards the main armament if it meets an obstruction when transvering with the powered systems.

I thought it was standard practice to house the main gun in the gun crutch unless the powered gun systems were in operation. This was to prevent damage to the systems and prevent - the main armament moving of it's own accord.

Feel free anyone to correct me as I'm not an expert!!!

Markheliops

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I talked to the armaments people at Bordon. They had no précis on the turret lift. However, it is not a big problem. Apparently it will take you about a day. The key things are the RJB and being careful not to damage any of the harnesses. There was something about loosening the turret traverse mechanism. The EMER will tell you of anything essential.

What are you going to use to lift it? It will weigh around 12,000 kgs at least.

John

Mark,

I talked to the armaments people at Bordon. They had no précis on the turret lift. However, it is not a big problem. Apparently it will take you about a day. The key things are the RJB and being careful not to damage any of the harnesses. There was something about loosening the turret traverse mechanism. The EMER will tell you of anything essential.

What are you going to use to lift it? It will weigh around 12,000 kgs at least.

John

Hi John.

Thank you for the information.

I think the turret weighs around 15 tonnes so I shall be calling in a mobile crane of suitable size.

Not taking any chances with this!

I'll take some pictures when I start the task.

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...