3.6 x 6 tyres ?

rampant rivet

Question

11 answers to this question

Can anyone tell me what these tyres may fit, they are new old stock no cracks etc and look pre war to me but are an odd size. Any ideas much appreci

Not an odd size but the older way of sizing tyres, these fit 24 inch rims and would be for commercials and buses using twin rear wheels. Dennis and Leyland used that size for certain, from the 1930's. This sizing was used through to the early 50's as far as I know.

Interesting they show 3.6 x 6.

At some stage the designation must have changed to 36 x 6, which is 36" o.d. less 2 x 6" tyre height = 24" rim.

One example is a 34 x 7 would be 34" less 2 x 7" = 20" rim. Which is same as a later 7.50 x 20 tyre since tyres were later designated by width (7.5") instead of height (7").

So 36 x 6 should be equivalent to something like a modern sizing of 6.50 x 24? (o.d. 36"). Which would be a bit thinner and smaller diameter than a 7.50 x 24 (o.d. 38").

They look in great condition!

They are equivalent to 7.00x24.

They would look nice on the front wheels of my Mack AC (it should be on 38x7s or 7.50x24 but I think the difference would be marginal)

So if they need a home, then there is one here!

Oh - what ply rating are they?

Not sure on ply rating but they are heavy duty with thick side walls almost like a runflat.

Interesting they show 3.6 x 6.

At some stage the designation must have changed to 36 x 6, which is 36" o.d. less 2 x 6" tyre height = 24" rim.

One example is a 34 x 7 would be 34" less 2 x 7" = 20" rim. Which is same as a later 7.50 x 20 tyre since tyres were later designated by width (7.5") instead of height (7").

So 36 x 6 should be equivalent to something like a modern sizing of 6.50 x 24? (o.d. 36"). Which would be a bit thinner and smaller diameter than a 7.50 x 24 (o.d. 38").

They look in great condition!

Thanks they are as new never fitted cond.

Not an odd size but the older way of sizing tyres, these fit 24 inch rims and would be for commercials and buses using twin rear wheels. Dennis and Leyland used that size for certain, from the 1930's. This sizing was used through to the early 50's as far as I know.

Thanks Richard thought they were 1930's but size threw me

I thought that size was vaguely familiar, looking through Bart's pre-war directory, I note three British military lorries with 36x6 size tyres, all late 20's / early 30's era, Guy 30/40 cwt 4 wheeler, Albion 30/45hp 3 ton 6x4 and the one I am familiar with and think it is shod with this size tyre, a Karrier WO6 3 ton 6x4 ...... the owner is a forum member ;)