Brit Mv fire extinguisher brackets, what is the difference?

robin craig

Here are two fire extinguisher brackets, both fit the same type, the one that spanned likely the longest period of time for most of us who have been in the hobby.

I was up at the Cold War Collection yesterday and saw this newer style.

The basic differences seem to be a red indicator stem that get broken (I assume) when the extinguisher gets pulled out of the bracket and the other is the release tab has gone from fabric to stamped metal.

Is this a generational improvement? If so when did they come in to use?

If if what a usage specific change, what were they used in?

Where can one get the red indicator stems?

Some of us are a bit fastidious about getting details correct.

Any help / explanation gratefully accepted

Thanks

Robin

Brit FE brackets.jpg

Robin,

I know Marcus Glenn was selling those brackets with the red tab on the end a few years ago. Never seen them fitted to a vehicle though as released from the mod, and we've had a fair few now.

Chris

Ditto what Chris says, had and seen plenty of vehicles over last few years but not seen the one with the red tab fitted to anything.

Ditto what Chris says, had and seen plenty of vehicles over last few years but not seen the one with the red tab fitted to anything.

That type of BCF extinguisher was banned in the early 90's by the Montreal Protocol, most of them in Land Rovers and Bedfords were replaced by 2kg dry powder extinguisher, these were larger and a pain in Series 3s as it was fitted in the passenger footwell, it got in the way and the clip caught the back of your heels!

I have vague recollections from back when working for military, that although BCF was banned, there are/were exemptions due to it being safer to use in enclosed area, ie inside an AFV. I think the Halon type of extinguisher superseded BCF for general MT exterior use, but then that was banned under the Montreal Protocol.

Might not have this totally correct, but some things get forgotten over time if of no great importance! (sent to brain's recycle bin!)

Sandy,

They are still used on 'A' vehicles - our Spartan came out of service a little over 12 months ago fitted with them inside.

Chris

Quite right, our Sultans had them, there isn't much else available that has the same flame killing ability.

What wonderful positive answers from all of you.

Stupid me, I made the mistake of posting an enquiry over on the ARRSE forum on the same subject. Don't think the moderators over there are doing their job.

Makes me glad of HMVF

Thanks

R

I know what you mean.

I have vague recollections from back when working for military, that although BCF was banned, there are/were exemptions due to it being safer to use in enclosed area, ie inside an AFV. I think the Halon type of extinguisher superseded BCF for general MT exterior use, but then that was banned under the Montreal Protocol.

Might not have this totally correct, but some things get forgotten over time if of no great importance! (sent to brain's recycle bin!)

Hi Richard, BCF is Halon 1211 / 1301, same stuff; it was banned under the Montreal Protocol except for essential users, which is how the MoD kept using it. There's nothing like it for effectiveness for such a small volume of extinguishant, but the MoD are trying to phase it out gradually, but the end date is between 2020 and 2040!

Hi Richard, BCF is Halon 1211 / 1301, same stuff; it was banned under the Montreal Protocol except for essential users, which is how the MoD kept using it. There's nothing like it for effectiveness for such a small volume of extinguishant, but the MoD are trying to phase it out gradually, but the end date is between 2020 and 2040!

Hi Sean,

I seem to recollect another extinguisher being fitted in early 90's to replace the old green BCF and it being refered to as Halon, but one of those things you don't take too much notice of, except how to use it in an emergency.

Hi Sean,

I seem to recollect another extinguisher being fitted in early 90's to replace the old green BCF and it being refered to as Halon, but one of those things you don't take too much notice of, except how to use it in an emergency.

I seem to recall there are extensive papers available online about all the minute variations, nomenclature, policy for phasing out, etc., if one is interested enough to read them. Personally I'm not!

The major reason for making the effort to find out about this bracket is to be accurate with what is put on a vehicle.

For myself and many others the idea of putting an item that was issued say in year 2000 on a vehicle that was actually withdrawn from service in 1990 is a clash.

Being historically accurate is important to some people, it for sure isn't everyone's cup of tea but then I think that is what life is all about.

R

the removal of the green BCF extinguishers from B vehicle was to be completed by December 2003 prior to this date a

new style of bracket was issued the one with the red tab it had been found that cases of discharged extinguisher had been found on vehicles and had not been replaced with serviceable ones the red plastic tab breaks when the extinguisher is removed from the bracket the extinguisher can be checked in place by put your finger through the hole in the base of the bracket to check the dimple as to getting the red plastic break tabs if you like l can ask the workshops if they have any

l can have

REGARDS WALLY

The major reason for making the effort to find out about this bracket is to be accurate with what is put on a vehicle.

For myself and many others the idea of putting an item that was issued say in year 2000 on a vehicle that was actually withdrawn from service in 1990 is a clash.

Being historically accurate is important to some people, it for sure isn't everyone's cup of tea but then I think that is what life is all about.

R

As a demonstration of an alternative point of view, I'd agree with being historically accurate except where safety trumps accuracy. I'd personally rather have a later extinguisher that works than an older one that doesn't. I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong, each to his own!

Andy

Would it not be sensible to have the correct but empty extinguisher and bracket in the vehicle.

With a modern gauged extinguisher that is CE marked and to a current standard as a loose item with the parts and tools you carry etc.

I think from a safety perspective I would not use either an old Pyrene BCF type extinguisher full stop as they contain asbestos!

Just my four peneth as this is my approach only but seems the safest (To Me ;))