Clansman Antennas for Land Rover

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Defender Tithonus 110 FFR Soft Top, and I was hoping someone would be able to help with the antennas for it. There seem to be so many on eBay, I'm not sure which ones I need.

As far as I am aware, I need a set of these to fit both the TUAAM boxes on the front wings for VHF:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131354221283?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

However, there seem to be various other antennas I have seen. These seem to be extensions for the VHF whips, so I assume you can either use one or two sections along with the other two whip sections from the link above to make a 3 or 4 metre whip? Are these the correct antennas, and will the TUAAM units tune these antennas correctly with the extensions?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261690666264?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As for the HF whips, I am having a hard time trying to work out what is needed. I would assume the HF whips would need to be longer than the VHF whips, but I don't know which ones I need or how many. Also, the VHF whips seem to have an obvious top section, as the end is sealed off with a plastic cap, presumably to stop rain running down the inside of the whips, and for limited eye protection. I haven't seen any HF whips like that, unless you're meant to use that as the top section of the HF whip?

Finally, I am not sure which antenna bases I need for the HF whips. The VHF whips have the rubber section which clamps the antenna, a metal ring with a screw connector that screws to the rubber antenna base and a BNC connector on the bottom, and a round gasket that goes between the ring and the TUAAM box.

On the HF side stalks, they seem to omit the metal ring, and have a different gasket, which I believe is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clansman-radio-aerial-base-gasket-/261616642205?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item3ce991289d

As opposed to this for the VHF antennas on the TUAAM boxes:

http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/customer/product.php?productid=1425&cat=0&page=1

What is the correct antenna base for the side stalks? The metal ring on the VHF bases allows the coax cable to be connected to the rubber antenna base, but the side stalks seem to omit this part. If so, how does the coax connect straight into the antenna base? Have I been looking at an incorrect setup?

Please would someone clarify exactly what parts I need for all the antennas please?! I would like my vehicle to be correct, as I plan on using the radios in the vehicle!

Thanks,

Jack.

Jack

The VHF base for the TUUAM has to be the version with the extra cylindrical section (which contains a small UNUN transformer) and the VHF antenna is always 2 metres for Clansman as far as I know.

The side stalks can be used for HF with a single wire connection from the bolt on the antenna base proper to the ATU inside (and no cylindrical section), or for VHF with the cylindrical section under the base and a coax. There certainly were 4-radio VHF fits in rebroadcast vehicles with the IBRU that would have needed it

This topic was covered at length in:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21088-Antenna-base-query

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?36191-Antenna-mounts-for-HF-radios&highlight=vhf+antenna

Also note that the RT321 TURF25W ATU has tuning tables for "Rod 3 x 1m" and "Rod 4 x 1m" so these are legitimate for HF - as far as I know there are 3 NSNs for "Bottom", "Middle" and "Top" rods and the 3m version is 1 of each whereas the 4m has two middle rods.

Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS

Hope this Helps

Iain

73 de G0OZS

• 2 weeks later...
Jack

The VHF base for the TUUAM has to be the version with the extra cylindrical section (which contains a small UNUN transformer) and the VHF antenna is always 2 metres for Clansman as far as I know.

Sums it up. The military VHF band covered by Clansman (30-76MHz iirc) was best suited in its quarter wavelength to 2m of rod. Whatever 2m of Clansman rod you can get, will have been used so long as they fit together, because antenna rods were always like rocking horse droppings. Pass through a wood, lose your rods and if you don't have spares, the man at Q&M won't, so you'll have to resort to finding someone who's parked up and not put his rods away and "borrow" them. The TUAAM was designed to electronically tune 2m of rod to 1/4 wavelength for optimal output.

A follow up on the optimum length: The 2m rod is 1/4 wave at 8 metres - a little over 30 MHz - the TUUAM is designed to make the 2m rod electrically shorter (so achieving efficient radiation) by means of a series motor driven variable capacitor (a too short antenna needs series inductance at the base like the 349 or 351 whips, a too long antenna needs capacitance as in this case). The TUUAM is actually an exceptional ATU as it can manage a range of frequencies of more than 2:1 without use of variable inductors (at least according to the circuit in EMER L212) where the natural length of the element is nearly an optimum 1/4 wave at the low end and an end fed 1/2 wave at 70MHz which is quite hard to feed. To achieve this it has two additional motor driven tuned stages between the radio and the final series capacitor.

Regards

Iain