FV key cutting

bobfett

Question

My champ came without its ignition key (the barrel was unlocked so it can turn on/off). Bearing in mind that AFAIK this is the standard ignition lock as per other FVs of the era, is there anywhere that can cut keys to the code on the front of the lock barrel (as per http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Austin-Champ-NOS-military-ignition-locks-CVRT-Daimler-Ferret-Humber-1-Ton-etc-/281520877139?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item418bf3ae53) or is the only option to have a punt on the ebay listing?

Had a brief nosy around last night, found places that will cut keys to "FV" but their code ranges don't match these. The champ is stored elsewhere so I haven't checked the code yet, but I presume it's the same format as those in the ebay link.

18 answers to this question

My champ came without its ignition key (the barrel was unlocked so it can turn on/off). Bearing in mind that AFAIK this is the standard ignition lock as per other FVs of the era, is there anywhere that can cut keys to the code on the front of the lock barrel (as per http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Austin-Champ-NOS-military-ignition-locks-CVRT-Daimler-Ferret-Humber-1-Ton-etc-/281520877139?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item418bf3ae53) or is the only option to have a punt on the ebay listing?

Had a brief nosy around last night, found places that will cut keys to "FV" but their code ranges don't match these. The champ is stored elsewhere so I haven't checked the code yet, but I presume it's the same format as those in the ebay link.

I had a key cut for me from someone who had a set of keys for most of the barrel codes.

I cant remember where and when it was done as it was years ago!

I do know that the key does work though, so it was a good 'Cut'.

Ill try and dig out some details. Fingers crossed.

When you say the barrel is unlocked do you mean a screwdriver will turn it? If so it probably has no pins inside , in which case any FV key should work it.

No, the ignition switch has 3 positions- On, Off and Locked. The switch is currently movable between on and off (i.e. unlocked).

I had a key cut for me from someone who had a set of keys for most of the barrel codes.

I cant remember where and when it was done as it was years ago!

I do know that the key does work though, so it was a good 'Cut'.

Ill try and dig out some details. Fingers crossed.

I got help from 'ferretkit' on here with my key. Mine is Key No 15.

What's your number? I have a spare set of barrels and a key NOS. If Numbers match that then you may have another option too.

Ta

These sound promising- I will try and get it ASAP (the champ is stored elsewhere and I don't have much time to get to it at the moment).

Hi I took the lock barrel out of my champ gave it to my local locksmith and luckily he was able too cut a set of keys, failing that sets of barrels with keys pop up on epay now and again at reasonable money. Don't forget to check that the rear lockers barrels should be suited to the ignition barrel so that one key fits all.

RR.

Did anyone get anywhere with this? I've got a Ferret with no key, but it's in the locked position and I can't get it to move at all. I've been thinking of swapping out the starter panel or hot-wiring it to see if I can get it to start, but a key would be handy.

It appears to be marked with 7 and 11.

Starter Switch.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

My champ came without its ignition key (the barrel was unlocked so it can turn on/off). Bearing in mind that AFAIK this is the standard ignition lock as per other FVs of the era, is there anywhere that can cut keys to the code on the front of the lock barrel.

Hello All,

I've only recently come across this old post but to answer Bobfett's question regarding places that will cut FV keys to code but the ranges don't match, this is because they are a different series using a much larger key.

Can anyone tell me what the current situation is regarding getting keys cut to code for the Military FV series?

Did all the FV series of keys/locks have the prefix FV16 or were there others?

Regards,

Ian.

Did all the FV series of keys/locks have the prefix FV16

Yes Ian I think so, I have never seen anything other than FV16.

Although there is a commercial FV series akin to FP, FS etc it bears no relationship to the FV16 series. I wasn't able to find out the actual pattern but a key cutting man at a show looked around his less common keys & was able to cut a spare for me.

The genuine key I have in front of me is marked Made in England, Union on the other side Wilmot Breeden. Then stamped in the middle FV16 then below that in a frame the actual key number is stamped.

I have just looked at my lock. Above the key hole is 16 & below is the lock number which tends to be only one or two digits.

PS Looking at yours suggest it might be in the FV7 key series, which I've not seen before.

Edited by fv1609

Yes Ian I think so, I have never seen anything other than FV16.

Although there is a commercial FV series akin to FP, FS etc it bears no relationship to the FV16 series. I wasn't able to find out the actual pattern but a key cutting man at a show looked around his less common keys & was able to cut a spare for me.

The genuine key I have in front of me is marked Made in England, Union on the other side Wilmot Breeden. Then stamped in the middle FV16 then below that in a frame the actual key number is stamped.

Thanks for your comments Clive.

Yes, I agree that the commercial FV series is not equivalent to the FV16 series.

Luckily you were able to get a spare key cut using your original as a pattern but what if you had no key to begin with?

If there was a way to get the FV16 series keys cut to code would there be a demand for it?

The reason I ask is because I could be in a position to offer this service should there be a need for it.

Ian.

p.s. The photo of the FV7 lock is not my vehicle but I was curious to know how many different Key series were used on the FV vehicles.

Yeah, I'm thinking that I might have to drill mine out.

Both of my Ferrets are fitted with keylocks, but fortunately the one that runs is in the unlock position, both were issued to the Australian Army, so maybe that was part of their specification? My Saracen was British Army (mostly NI and HK), and it doesn't have a keylock fitted.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by Starfire

My champ ignition barrel has the number 16 the key is fv16. One rear locker has fv18 the other has the number 4

the ignition key is original the two locker keys I had cut to fit the locks. The make on the keys is Silca & the key model is uni 2

I have FV16 & I have a Pig. The lock barrels that fit mine would fit any other vehicle using a Switchboard No.1

Some Humbers have in the CES Simple Equipment "For replacement demand - Keys Blank to FV series of lock barrel and to Part No. LV6/MT13/87149"

Edited by fv1609
CES

Hello All,

Following on from my previous posts on this subject, I am now in a position to cut keys to code for most of the FV16 series.

I have acquired quite a few NOS barrels and some original keys. In the absence of original keys, new aftermarket blanks will be used.

I can offer complete lock sets or individual barrels if you have mismatched locks on your vehicle.(Subject to stock)

Please PM me with any questions and/or your requirements.

Ian.

Edited by Ian43

Hello All,

I'm looking to increase the range of FV keys that I can cut to code but to do this I need to obtain locks and keys from the various different series.

I believe that there are several different FV series used on vehicles like the Mk1 AEC Militant and some Daimler Ferrets for example. Militant (FV6 & FV11)?? Ferret (FV7)??

I am appealing to fellow members for help with this by either selling or lending me spare FV locks or keys.

Over to you.

Thanks,

Ian.

I recently bought a new ignition lock barrel for our ferret. After fitting it I cannot remove the key when the switch is in the Locked position. It can only be removed when the switch is ON or OFF, but then I cannot move it to the Locked position.

Any advice on how to resolve the issue would be much appreciated

Edited by Jimland74