Colonel John Gillman

AlienFTM

I suspect that there are people on here who knew Colonel John Gillman, late of 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars and probably Light Dragoons (after my time).

I know he was big on the restoration scene (he was restoring a Saladin in his spare time while we were stationed in Paderborn in the late 70s). I last saw him in the Officers' Mess, RAC Centre Bovington about ten years ago when the new building was opened.

I regret that I have just received the following notification from the Regimental Association:

Dear All, I can confirm that sadly Colonel John Gillman passed away on Fri 21 Nov 14 and that John's wife Merial sadly passed away on Thu 20 Nov 14.

No details of funerals or condolences as yet. If anyone here needs any more information as it becomes available, please PM me through this website so that I get an e-mail, as my visits here are somewhat restricted these days.

it is with great sadness that l have heard of John and merials passing john and l knew each other for over thirty years and we spent many happy hours together collecting vehicle spares off the ranges for use on the museums collection as well as working on the armour He over the years supported a number of military museums both in the UK and in EUROPE bringing back to life many armoured vehicles the world will be a poorer place at there passing

REST IN PEACE

WALLY

It would have been nearly 30 years ago when I met John. A very nice and approachable man. Always remember him taking me in a Universal Carrier from the museum right up to Clouds Hill and the training area on one of the MVT end of season events. Attached is a photo of him up on the training area where he was driving an ex-German Hotchkiss tracked carrier through a mud hole and the wash went straight in the drivers hatch. Very sad to hear both he and his wife passed away.

regards, Richard

John Gillman.jpg

Edited by Richard Farrant
added photo

It would have been nearly 30 years ago when I met John. A very nice and approachable man. Always remember him taking me in a Universal Carrier from the museum right up to Clouds Hill and the training area on one of the MVT end of season events. Also got a photo of him up on the training area where he was driving an ex-German Hotchkiss tracked carrier through a mud hole and the wash went straight in the drivers hatch. Very sad to hear both he and his wife passed away.

regards, Richard

In which case you may to look on Facebook for John Charles Webb Gillman. very close to the top of his page is a photo of him, my good friend "Bad News" Brown (who still has my cassette of Beethoven's Fifth - though at least he has the decency to remember ;) ) and a young lad with big sandy blond hair stood in front of a sand-coloured carrier in 1985 ... nearly 30 years ago.

;)

The Funerals of John and Meriel Gillman are to be held on Saturday 6th December, 2.30pm, All Saints Church, Faringdon, Oxfordshire with reception afterwards at Sudbury House.

There is a facebook page titled 'R.I.P. John & Meriel Gillman' where up to date details are being posted along with many photos of John and Meriel including lots of MV stuff. If you have any photos of them please feel free to post.

Carl

I have a very rich fund of stories about John Gillman from the funny to the bizarre but just one: we were on a landing craft, just about to set off for the 60th anniversary of D Day in 2004. He had arranged a carrier, a Churchill, a Sherman and my dingo to go and in fact, as I was skint, he even paid to transport my dingo to Marchwood. Anyway, the soldiers were loading food by the ton and I turned to John and asked if he knew if the weather would be rough as I am certainly no sailor and we were facing at least 12 hours in a flat bottomed craft. He did not know but looking at the supplies going on board, I said never mind, they have plenty of oranges. He gave me a mystified look and I cracked the old joke about oranges being the only thing that tastes the same whichever way it is going. Blank look for about two seconds and then he laughed and laughed like a drain. Over the next few days he must have retold the joke about ten times to various high ranking officers including a US General from the Pentagon!

One more: how about the time he needed cotton cloth to replace a blocked fuel filter on a Russian APC on Salisbury Plain? He donated his own underpants: the ones he was wearing!

He was one of the best people I ever met and the world is a sadder place for his passing.

One more: how about the time he needed cotton cloth to replace a blocked fuel filter on a Russian APC on Salisbury Plain? He donated his own underpants: the ones he was wearing!

Yes I remember him recounting that but I couldn't remember the exact purpose to which he used his Drawers, cellular, short as he very correctly described them.