Daimler Ferret

Trevor smith

The color suggested UN, the doors on the side looked like an adaption to carry a stretcher. On the canadiansoldiers.com website I found the following:

"Canada purchased 124 Ferret Mark I Scout Cars in 1954, and used them until 1981. None of the Canadian vehicles had turrets. They were used not only in Canada but also overseas, in West Germany and on Cyprus, for example. Final disposition was:

• 23 used as range targets
  • 4 to museums
  • 74 sold surplus via CADC (Crown Assets Disposal Corporation)
  • 1 converted to a funeral vehicle
  • 10 sold as a second batch of surplus
  • 10 converted to monuments
  • 1 scrapped (in 1975)
  • 1 unknown"

I wonder if yours was the one converted to a funeral vehicle?

Where are you in FL? I'm in Fort Myers on the west coast. If you need measurements there is a ferret in the military history museum in Kissimee, just south of Orlando.
    Eimage.jpg

Edited by Chopa

Yes im actually an hour from you im in clewiston fl. As for the doors im not sure if the guy before me fabricated them to make it easier to get into or what the deal is with it. Not too much on the history other than it was canadian and has the b60 engine in it. I have thousands of pictures i just have to go through them. In the process of stripping the inside so i can do a full restore of the interior.

something very odd about that vehicle, wonder where it came from? Doubt it was ex- British army as it has an Aviation Jersey rebuild engine fitted.

How do you recognise that Richard? Aviation Jersey were in the 1970's Alvis Fighting Vehicle main dealear. There was a major row in Parliment about a 'British' company refurbishing Metor engines from Rhodesian Saracens. The other side of the factory in St Aubins made electric wheelchairs. Never could decide if that was salving conciense, or cashing in at both ends.

Edited by Tony B

Not sure how you'd get a coffin in there. Wouldn't it stick out the side a bit. Not a particularly stylish way to be transported to your resting place.

Also what's the armoured bit sticking out by the rear wheel for?

whatever the reason, it makes entry & exit from ferret a lot easier than pouring yourself in through the drivers hatch or rattling down through the turret bashing yourself on every sharp edge as you do so!

Not sure how you'd get a coffin in there. Wouldn't it stick out the side a bit. Not a particularly stylish way to be transported to your resting place.

Also what's the armoured bit sticking out by the rear wheel for?

whatever the reason, it makes entry & exit from ferret a lot easier than pouring yourself in through the drivers hatch or rattling down through the turret bashing yourself on every sharp edge as you do so!

If your talking about the rear left it was modified for an external tank so that the fuel tank wasn't inside, haven't decided yet if im going to locate back inside

Adrian,

Tony never lets the facts get in the way of a good story ;)

No poor spelling. :-D The workshop factory was at La Haule on the sea front of St Aubin bay. That's now housing. The last time I was over the company still have an office by the Co-Op in St Aubin's. There was at that time a Saracen under tarpulin round the back. Wonder what ever happned to that? As an aside I wasn't the only one there who couldn't spell. Afore said engines went back in crates stenceled Avation Jersey. ;)

Trevor

was it modified for Hollywood etc.?...escape doorway is quite wide

if it´s canadian stamped reg. number is on there

pekka

ttfn

02 cc 30

54 82550

Srry not sure what you mean by modified for hollywood, the doors were widened at some point i believe that they were widened by the previous owner, think he just did it that way so it was easier to get in but not 100% on it.

Hey! In about 1973 all we got were two very beat up V12 engines.:-D I got told by the foreman they were from Saracens, then he gave me and the other apprentice the job of cleaning all the hard caked, and I mean hard, red clay off the beasts. Daft thing is even we oiks knew they were South African/ Rhodesian, at the time of sanctions. Maybe a local mod, after all the S.A goverment at the time were extremly good at getting around sanctions.It was about two years later some MP finally got uo on his legs to spout in Westminster.

Hey! In about 1973 all we got were two very beat up V12 engines.:-D I got told by the foreman they were from Saracens, then he gave me and the other apprentice the job of cleaning all the hard caked, and I mean hard, red clay off the beasts. Daft thing is even we oiks knew they were South African/ Rhodesian, at the time of sanctions. Maybe a local mod, after all the S.A goverment at the time were extremly good at getting around sanctions.It was about two years later some MP finally got uo on his legs to spout in Westminster.

Don't believe everything you are told, just try and get a V12 Meteor in a Saracen, might fit in the back door but not the engine bay.

Richard, I was so green I could get lost in the grass. :-D First day there an old Saracen was around the back under a tarp. I was given a long starting handle and told that every day I had to turn the engine one hundred times to stop it freezing up. Along with Prussian Blue round the edge of the engineers loupe, buckets of steam and boxes of 9/8 inch holes. Them were the days. :nut:

• 4 months later...