Classic motorcycle 6v hard rubber wet cell battery

I have a triumph 3sw and my 6 v hard rubber wet cell battery has died ...i revived it 3 years ago but as in the monty python sketch ..this battery is dead..

I have actively looked for a replacement wet cell battery but it appears as if the rest of the world has converted to replacement hard case boxes with modern batteries inside ,,

I have a preference to use an original battery if i can find one ....any ideas ....

Jenkinov

I know you wish to keep things original but to be honest I felt the same with my Gold Star, however in the end I went with dry cell in a replica case, it was the best thing I ever did, combined with an Optimate intelligent charger it is totally maintenance free I knew it would start every time and would always be fully charged. Technology does have its uses :D

I decided to have another search on the internet and immediately found a supplier ..As such I have ordered an original battery from Classic Bike parts of Cheshire ..

I am very pleased to have traced one ..I understand why most riders have changed to modern batteries but oddly i enjoy the 6v wiring system ..

I have also retained 6v on my jeep and retained the original carter carburettor whilst many have fitted more efficient versions .,,I do say that i enjoy it with tongue in check ..I should say i enjoy it when its working and curse its invention when it fails ..

Jenkinov ..

Well in an unexpected turn of events Classic Bike parts of Cheshire refunded me my money ..At this stage i must assume that they do not have a Classic 6v hard rubber wet cell battery in stock ..

The search begins again ....

or re think my strategy ...

Jenkinov

There are probably a number of reasons why many of us have switched to modern batteries in a dummy case. These are also 6v and have no effect on the working and charm (or otherwise !) of the standard system.

After the change from the pre-war specified Ni-Fe (Nickel-Iron) batteries during late 1939, all contracted military motorcycles were fitted with the WD marked and dated Lucas PUW7E. The marking of this type of component was intended to discourage theft and unofficial use.

Ian Wright who posts on the WD Motorcycle forum supplies very accurate boxes taken from an original, either 1940 or 1944 dated and in view of the fact that the connectors etc. are hidden under a detachable top cover, when painted these are pretty well impossible to identify as replica. Any post war civilian battery on the other hand will always look incorrect for fitment on an in-service WD motorcycle.

Furthermore, lead-acid 6v black rubber motorcycle batteries have not been made in Europe for more than twenty years and all production since has been in India, I believe. Many of them only lasted about six months and were rated at 6 amp or so whereas the original PUW7E was a 12a/h unit.

My feeling is that accepting inferior performance to what was available seventy years ago is just as 'inaccurate' as fitting an improved unit and for me, the exterior appearance clinches it...