FV434 Maintenance?

Dan Glanville

Hello Gentlemen

In regards to properly maintaining a FV432/434 , can anyone give me incite or advice on what some of the main necessities in spares, replacement parts, tools, regular maintenance needs and things to look for or keep an eye on with regards to keeping these machines running smoothly and maintained. Can anyone think of things that they have forgotten, neglected, or overlooked when they purchased or when operating their FV432/434. Also, was there any wants or adds to their wish list that they would have liked to have on their FV432/434. Thanks

Cor, you were supposed to do maint on them as well! Drove one for about 5 years, then commanded one for another 8 or 9 years and thought they were great. In all honesty the good old 434 was almost indestructable. We always used to spend so much time looking after everyone elses kit that we hardly ever did a lot on our own trucks. The biggest thing for me was to make sure the coolant was always topped up, the final drive lock nuts were tight and the govener oil level was correct. I suppose the biggest let down was the poor quality batteries we had fitted, but if you have good quality batteries fitted you should have few problems. Apart from that they only needed attention if something happened which was not very often.

You should regularly check :

Steering box oil (under the nipple on the front glacis plate)

Engine oil (left of drivers position, check the level with engine running)

Gearbox oil (left of commanders position under flap)

Coolant (under the disk in the middle of the engine air leuvres)

Final drive oil (disk on front of the drive assemblies just behind the drive sprocket)

Track tension (you should have about a clenched fist distance between track and hull in the middle of the droop, if not theres a grease nipple on the back of the piston pushing the rear roller out)

Hub oil (jack up each wheel and rotate until the arrow on the hub is upwards, then remove the large nut on the upper right of the hub and the oil should be level with the hole)

its the most important thing to check in my humble opinion, but you will get used to them...mine doesn't seem to lose any oil from the governor, well not in the very small amount of usage mine gets but we still check it...would hate to have a runaway 432/4...that would be very scary...

After the first drive of mine, i checked it at the end and it was fine, then when i did my pre drive checks it had lost the lot! (Phew) so no idea what happened so i topped up the oil and carried on and never had an issue again! Weird, just make sure the lid is on the chain as if thats dropped in there.... its not coming back out...

After the first drive of mine, i checked it at the end and it was fine, then when i did my pre drive checks it had lost the lot! (Phew) so no idea what happened so i topped up the oil and carried on and never had an issue again! Weird, just make sure the lid is on the chain as if thats dropped in there.... its not coming back out...

The seals on the gearbox throttle actuator were probably a bit dry to start with and have now re-wetted themselves, at a guess.

Andy