Bring Blue One Back Home - Flight Sergeant Eric Williams

Mellie

Hi all,

Can you take a moment to check out this website for an online petition to ask the MOD to grant a licence in order to make another attempt at recovering the human remains of Flight Sergeant Eric Williams and his Hurricane before the site is redeveloped and disappears under a block of flats.

http://www.bbobh.org

There's also a Facebook page at ... https://www.facebook.com/BBOBH?fref=ts

They've made two attempts so far and dug in the wrong place each time. If they could be persuaded to talk to some independent researchers who have eye-witness information, they might have better luck.

The whole sorry saga is detailed in Andy Saunders' book 'Finding The Few'.

Ta much,

Mellie

hi, i spent close to thirty years trying to find eric, i met many witnesses and still have a huge dossier here on all my findings, the timber wharf has been extended out to the thames but we excavated down to the old edge of the original wharf where the timber barges were tied up to and found the anchor chains of the barges that were sunk in front of the wharf. eric,s hurricane hit the overhead canopy of the wharf and went into the mud. aerial photographs of bartons are confusing because they do not show that this canopy came out at least fifty from the edge of the wharf, this is because the timber barges could unload under cover. i do not believe the recovery report from 1940 and from what i have heard the team spent their time in the albion arms pub. my conclusion was that eric,s hurricane lays beneath one of the sunken barges at the edge of the wharf. for years the property at bartons used to belong to the ministry of defence and the operation to remove the barges to get access to his remains would not be cost effective, i would dearly love to see eric,s remains found, as i still have a letter from his widow giving permission for the excavation, if any body wishes information from my dossier about this project please get in touch. this project was also blighted a few years ago by a certain wing commander from manston who did not have a clue what they were doing, i wish all concerned good luck in this matter, all the best, tony g.

Hi Tony,

Good to hear from someone actually involved in it all. Would you be one of the "independent researchers" that the petition mentions, the ones that the MOD, in their infinite wisdom, won't talk to?

Also, as I understand it from reading Andy Saunders' book "Finding The Few", Mark Kirby was shown the exact crash spot, which is currently under a concrete floor, by an eye-witness (long since passed, sadly). This spot seems to be some distance away from the current edge of the wharf. Are you guys generally in agreement, or at odds with one another?

Good news on the petition front, the signatures are really starting to snowball now that word is getting around, 1,349 last time I looked!

Splendid work All !

hi mellie, remember i said the wharf has been extended probably 100 ft from the original edge of the wharf and that the sunken barges filled with land fill formed the basis of the extended wharf, in my time at barton,s i was shown several positions by so called witnesses, it was from my aerial photographs many of which were german we were able to pinpoint the exact position. some showing the damage to the canopy and later showing the repair to the roof. i hope mark is well and will be in contact shortly with as i have found another site over here, hope of interest, tony g.

Hi all,

Can you take a moment to check out this website for an online petition to ask the MOD to grant a licence in order to make another attempt at recovering the human remains of Flight Sergeant Eric Williams and his Hurricane before the site is redeveloped and disappears under a block of flats.

http://www.bbobh.org

There's also a Facebook page at ... https://www.facebook.com/BBOBH?fref=ts

They've made two attempts so far and dug in the wrong place each time. If they could be persuaded to talk to some independent researchers who have eye-witness information, they might have better luck.

The whole sorry saga is detailed in Andy Saunders' book 'Finding The Few'.

Ta much,

Mellie

I hope it helps